What Working In Retail Has Taught Me

What Working In Retail Has Taught Me

Somebody's gotta do it

104
What Working In Retail Has Taught Me
enterprise.google.com

For most of us, retail is the first job we've ever had. Whether it's in a department store or grocery store, it's just as mentally taxing and time consuming. I can't even count the amount of weekends I have to work at 8 a.m. where I just feel like rolling over and telling the rest of the world, my boss included, to go take a long walk off a short pier.

But I don't.

My job has given me the chance to grow up. And although I'm not completely comfortable in it or plan on staying where I am, I have learned a new sense of responsibility. I believe if you have a job, you should do it well. I try to wish everyone I come into contact with at my job the same amount of love and kindness that I'd want for myself. But some days are harder than others. I've had my share of obnoxious customers, mostly impatient people who can't give me one more minute to deal with the person in front of them in line before they start fuming. Pro tip: if you're in a hurry and have somewhere to be, don't stop for stamps and ice cream at my store.

This particular issue reinforces another unfortunate lesson: not everyone in life is going to like you. And some people are going to dislike you for very stupid reasons, or seemingly no reasons at all. In many of these cases, the person is in a position of seniority and wants things done in a particular way. I find it awfully ironic that many of the people who are meant to be leaders often mix up cruelty with commanding respect. I dread working the same shifts as these people, but I continue to work them. The job isn't permanent and I don't plan to leave some day hating everyone. I plan on appreciating the money and experienced I earned. It's never all bad. Some of my regulars are pretty cool and they can make my day with a simple compliment.

Retail has also given me a newfound respect for people who share my job. Whenever I'm in a store or restaurant now, I'm always patient and kind to the person who's helping me. I sympathize with the shit they put up with, whether it's screaming kids with their tired parents or old people who demand that everything be handed to them, I know their lives are hard enough. If I'm getting food, I always leave a tip, usually 20%.

As a kid, I imagined that if I ever worked retail and my store got robbed, I'd defend the register and try to drive away the thieves. Now I realize that not only is that a direct violation of my position's policy, but it's also downright stupid. My job definitely doesn't want to be paying my potential hospital bills for a random act of heroism and I don't plan on risking my life for it. I've been told just to throw the register and duck for cover, and that's exactly what I'd plan to do. The emergency exit and I would be best friends for life. Luckily, this has yet to happen.

If you want a lesson in humility and hard work, get a job in retail for six months. It'll change you as a person, I guarantee it. You'll become one of two people by the end of it: the person who absolutely hates people and never wants to work retail again, or the person who sympathizes with the guy behind the counter in the paper hat, just like I do.