What Working In The Restaurant Business Taught Me

It's not as easy as it looks.

7
Fleur Delicious

The restaurant business may seem simple and easy to grasp, but there is actually quite a bit of work that takes place in order to ensure that customers have a good experience when they choose to dine out. This summer, I was hired as a hostess for a local breakfast place downtown. Hostessing may seem like an easy job - and for the most part, it is - but I was constantly being told that I am the first impression of the restaurant. I was the first and last person that the customers encountered, so the impression I left on them could really make or break their entire experience.

Hostessing really made me come out of my shell. While guests would be waiting for their tables, I would talk with them and make friendly conversation. Some guests would be more talkative than others, but I had a solid conversation almost every time I went in to work. I also learned how to deal with tough situations while providing the best customer service I could. I am grateful for all of the frustrated customers who chose to take their anger out on me because it taught me that I am able to calm someone down when they may be acting rash.

In addition, I have come to realize that servers are too often treated like animals. They're constantly being barked at by customers and really never get a break during the entire work day. Trust me, your server is doing everything they can to make sure that things go smoothly for you and your company. The last thing they want to do is make a mistake regarding your food order, so please be kind to them. It doesn't take much to be a decent human being, but I have seen plenty of incidents where customers forget that their waiters or waitresses are actually people too.

Over all, working in the restaurant business opened my eyes to how hard a restaurant's employees actually work. From the moment a customer steps inside the door, everything is all about them and their experience. I have a much stronger appreciation for those who work in the restaurant business now, and I plan on sharing that appreciation with the rest of my friends and family as well.