The Role Of Working Women, Then And Now

The Role Of Working Women, Then And Now

Women are making strides. There's more to be made.

252

People work. It's how they make a living and means for life. Whether sitting at a desk, traveling all over the world, or standing behind a register, in life, it is inevitable. What is something else, that comes with time? A family. Often the role in American society, back between the early 1900s to about the middle and late 1900s, men usually were the ones that worked, women stayed home with the children and took care of the household. But why?

Can women work and men stay home with the kids and pets? Is it socially incorrect for men and women to switch roles? Women began to gain more jobs in the workplace and began to prove to the world what they can be capable of outside the house. The relationship between everyday work and a family unit, overtime has changed in adaptation of the ever-changing society in the Accord and Post-Accord era.

In the Post-Accord Era, the hot topics of birth control rights and gay marriage were "radical" changes to how a family would function. Or is it? After about 1969, gay marriage was beginning to become a more commonly spoken topic into the legalization of gay marriage in 2015. Even as a family, parents want what's better for their children, to help them improve along with the Post-Accord Era.

In the text,"The Corrosion of Character," by Richard Sennett, talks about two people named Enrico and his son Rico. The father, understood that his life and opinions prior to the Post-Accord era, "he hardly wanted his son Rico to repeat his own life". Later in the text, the author stated that the family dynamic is extremely important to a person's growth and that ideals can be learned from other family members.

The labor force of women has also been a crucial factor affecting the family unit. A prime example is the "Rosie the Riveter" archetype. She was a patriotic and happy-go-lucky person, who filled factory job openings when men went off to war in the time of World War II. When a majority of people talk of American women during World War II, the iconic "Rosie the Riveter" is what usually become the topic of conversation. Rosie was the modern factory girl.

She was able to close the gap of women having jobs and the integration with men in the workplace. During World War II, since many men were overseas, women could take up the war effort jobs that had been abandoned and in desperate need to be filled.

Postwar emphasis on women becoming integrated into the workforce, and changing the dynamic of the stereotypical gender roles. Although upon some soldiers returning home, women had been "kicked out" of those jobs, many found other jobs instead of leaving the workforce altogether. By 1945, 37% of women occupied the civilian labor force. In 1965, 33% of women occupied the workforce and by 1990, close to 43% of the employed labor force was women.

The imagery of "riveters" and poster of Rosie were used as propaganda during the war for women of all color and backgrounds. These women joined the labor force not only to improve their quality of life, but to also serve the country and to serve alongside the male counterparts. Those women who were looked at as "Riveters" had many qualifications in the workforce of the wartime industry. They were usually determined by race and geographical location.

Although women still experienced some sexism, many women who had jobs in the wartime era kept fighting for jobs in hopes people would realize how much it improved their lives and feelings of accomplishment as well as the Civil Rights Movement and the Women's Rights Movement.

In comparison to the Accord and Post-Accord era, stay at home moms becoming women in the workplace, the normalization of men staying at home became a staple of society and the modernization of the family unit, as well as the roles individuals play, continues to develop.