We Made History: Women's March In Denver

My experience fighting for what I believe in and making history in the process.

17
Denverite

Though I've never considered myself a very political person, I have always believed in standing up for what I believe in. Which is why in the last couple of months I have found myself becoming more and more political, as the things that I believe in seem to be falling apart in our country before my eyes. A man who has admitted to sexual assault is president, Planned Parenthood (which does a lot more than abortions by the way) is in the process of being defunded, the vice president believes in conversion therapy, and countless other terrifying events are taking place. Which is why, when I found out about the Women's March on Denver, a sister march among the countless others in solidarity with the one in Washington DC, I knew that I had to go. So I made my sign, packed my backpack with snacks and water, and set my alarm for 5am to go fight for change in our country.

We arrived at Civic Center Park in downtown Denver around 8:45am, and already there were countless numbers of beautiful and strong women there. Everyone's signs were so creative. So much artistic talent and beautifully thought out slogans. I'll include a few examples as I continue through the march. Ours were put together last minute, but we were proud of the messages they conveyed.

We made our way over to where the crowds were forming, completely unaware at the moment that we were nowhere near the front of the crowd. At the end of the event, it was estimated that more than 100,000 (almost 200,000) men and women showed up for the march. Which is why it took us nearly an hour to get to the beginning of the route for the march. The thought of how many people were gathered in downtown Denver for the fight for women's and humans rights was absolutely inspiring.

We made our way through the arch at Civic Center Park, and found ourselves on the roads downtown. There were people finishing the march when we were just beginning, which speaks volumes about the massive size of this event. We walked in a sea of people of all races, genders, ages, and abilities. Some of the powerful supporters I witnessed included an older man in a Veterans hat, seven year old boys chanting for equal rights for their sisters, and of course countless women in pussy hats, making me wish I had gotten one myself.

We joined in on chants, including "my body, my choice" and "this is what democracy looks like." What stood out to me the most as we made our way downtown however was how peaceful and positive the atmosphere was. Of course we were all angry, its hard not to be angry with the state of the country currently, but we were channelling our anger into love and support for our fellow sisters. We were all there to help each others. Whenever there was a step down or a bench in the way we would all let everyone behind us know so no one would get hurt. I saw people thanking the police there to protect us. I even saw constructor workers on buildings we passed holding signs in support of us. What amazed me the most however was the fact that during the four hours or so I was there, I never once saw any hecklers or anyone threatening the march. The vibe around was so positive and supportive, and it honestly brought tears to my eyes.

One of my favorite parts of the march was when we went through the 16th Street Mall, as pictured above. We were all channeled into that beautiful small space, and seeing the snowflake decorations above, and the people standing on the balconies cheering us on, I felt so empowered. Here we were, in one of the most gorgeous and accepting places on earth, practicing our right to peacefully protest. It was at that moment that I realized that we were making history. Never before in my life had I thought I would be around for a period of our countries history that would cause so much outrage. I have always been a huge fan of the music of the 60's, so I knew about the massive protests of that time, and it never occurred to me that one day I would be involved in a massive protest myself.

When we made it back to the park, we were tired and cold but also so overwhelmed with the spirit of what we had partaken in. I remember checking my phone, and seeing an overhead photo taken by The Denver Post of the crowd, and realizing that I was one of those hundreds and thousands of people in that aeral shot.

I later read that the women's marches around the globe are now considered one of the biggest protests in the history of the US with an estimation of 2.9 million people across the world participating. Whether you agree with why we marched or not, you have to understand that something has to be said about how many of us are fighting for the rights that women deserve.

I stand with all women everywhere, and after my experience with the march, I am determined to continue to fight to make our country, and the world, a better place for women.