Young Women Offer Their Unique Perspectives On International Women's Day
Politics

What is a strong woman?

9
pixabay

Happy Women’s Day to all!

This is my third year writing a post for Women’s Day, but this year’s is my absolutely favorite! I got the opportunity to work with my girl gang (once again) to learn more about what makes women strong and why we’re celebrating being women. I’m sharing this with you because the more I hear from strong women, the more I become one, and I want to give you that chance too.

To the male readers out there: don’t close your browser on me just yet, I want you to hear this too. My hope is you’ll recognize the strong women in your life and join in their celebration. You are our allies. We need you to know what makes us strong, what makes us proud, so you can help protect our truths.

This year’s Women’s Day theme is #BeBoldForChange and it encourages women to be strong in their uniqueness and work towards universal equality. So I wanted to know, what does it mean to be a strong woman and how can we build ourselves stronger?

“Being a woman who does not let institutional sexism diminish her drive to pursue her own goals – whether they be educational, vocational, or personal in nature. Will stand up for herself and her rights, and encourages the women around her to do the same. An advocate for the success for womankind as a whole”
“You keep getting back up with a smile on your face.”
“A strong woman is one who takes the time to be alone with herself to truly know who she is and what she deserves from life. She is the person who encounters failure and instead of shying from it, she allows herself to experience the pain and pride herself on the journey when she has overcome it.”
“A strong woman shows love, respect, and compassion to other women (ALL woman-identified folk) as she educates both herself and her community!”
“To be confident in who you are, no matter what your past is, and to grow and strive to improve from all mistakes. Acknowledge biases, but instead of being discouraged by them, let them empower you to be better than those who hold them. A strong woman to me is someone who exudes class and composure when faced by someone who lacks both.”
“Embracement and awareness of self; confidence to fight for what you believe in.”
“Being a strong woman entails many things, it entails defying the odds and overcoming adversity. A strong woman is self-aware and self-loving – despite what society expects of her.”
“To be confident in yourself and your being without the approval of anyone. To live your life for yourself, but being conscious to always help others.”

There are an endless number of reasons to celebrate our womanhood despite the few not so amazing aspects of being female (suffering through the pain of uncomfortable heels, shaving your legs, your monthly visit from Mother Nature, not having equal pay, seeing your sisters around the world struggle, unrealistic standards from media). So, yes, there may be some unstoppable factors that work against us, but, today especially, I want to express and celebrate all the reasons why we love being women and why we wouldn’t have it any other way.

“To be honest, the access to more stylish clothes... (also, generally, having important relations with other women as friends and allies, which I don’t think men have as great of access to).”
“Being able to show the world what you are capable of.”
“Having wine nights with your girls!”
“I love being able to feel powerful and in control in male dominated spheres while still being feminine if I want or more laid back and casual if I want. I like having those two sides that can be more emphasized depending on the day. Proving people wrong and noticing when (guys especially) are surprised by either what I do or what my interests are is pretty fun as well.”
“Sharing a history of liberation and progress with the other women and minorities! Fighting the good fight, my gals.”
“Two things: being a mom and getting dressed up!”
“Having the freedom in fashion and families and socially allowed to show emotions. I don’t know but I would not want to be a man.”
“…the prerogative to have a little fun! But also I think many women excel at possessing empathetic spirits for hurting and marginalized people”
"The best part about being a woman is connecting with other women to support, encourage and gain and give strength."
“Getting the opportunity to carry a child for 9 months and miraculously give birth to another human being”
“We have the ability to be underestimated and overlooked and still we rise.”
“The best part of being a woman is having so many role models to look up to! Marie Claire was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize for her research on radioactivity – this was a huge contribution to the fight against cancer.”

After reading this, I hope today, and each day to come, you walk a little taller.

Peace, love and girl power.

Xoxo
Andrea