Winthrop alumna attends The Women's March on Washington
Politics

One day after The Presidential Inauguration of Donald Trump

16

Ayana Crawford is a Spring 2016 graduate of Winthrop University where she received her B.A. in Psychology.

Crawford became a part of women’s history when she attended the Women’s March in Washington, DC on January 21, 2017 one day after The Inauguration of Donald Trump. She didn’t travel alone she attended this event alongside Winthrop faculty and students.

According to womensmarch.com, the mission of this movement, is to protect the rights, safety health and families of women while recognizing their diversity.

Crawford is currently advocating and developing her own activism through her blog, EmpoweringForTheFuture.blogspot.com

Check out her Q/A on this experience below:

Shakora Bamberg: Tell me about your role at Winthrop including any leadership roles, recognition, and positions you held while a student at WU.

AC: In my last year at Winthrop, I was President of the DiGiorgio Student Union (DSU) Campus Programming Board. Throughout my college career, I was a member of many volunteer organizations as well as anything dealing with Psychology and Women & Gender Studies (my minor).

SB:What is one thing that you love about Winthrop, why did you choose WU?

AC: I had a choice between WU and Columbia College. I chose Winthrop because it felt like home and I am an advocate on diversity/inclusion.

SB: When did you realize that you wanted go into this field of study? Where did this passion come from?

AC: I participated in the South Carolina New Leadership Initiative in 2015 where I met various women involved in politics and learned how we are underrepresented in many entities. At first, I was combatting the idea of me being involved in politics but senior year, it hit me hard. I knew I was passionate about civil rights, social justice, and women’s rights but I did not realize, that if I wanted to bring change in those areas, I must get involved in politics. I’m okay with it now and have answered my calling.

SB: Tell me about the Women’s March on Washington? What was the purpose of the event and how did you contribute as a Winthrop alum?

AC: The purpose of the event was to come together as women and stand together for our rights. In a way, it was a message to Trump that we are here and we have rights he cannot forget about especially on his first day in office but it became an outlet for celebrities, activists and more to express their feelings about the changes that were coming under his term. As a Winthrop alum, I was happy to participate and go with other students and faculty of Winthrop. My favorite professors, Dr. Disney & Dr. Haubert were right by my side to support one another as women especially since we all have different perspectives and experiences.

SB: Is this your first time participating?

AC: That was my first time participating in such a large scale event and traveling outside of the state into the nation’s capital! I have participated in other protests prior to this event.

SB: About how many people do you believe attended the Women’s March?

AC: I thought it was at least a million people (men, women, and children) a police officer/marshal was out there amazed and claimed that it was at least a million so I’m not exactly sure. It was larger than what was expected!

SB: Which stars/activists/ attended the march and what message did you take from it?

AC: Many celebrities and activists spoke from America Ferrera, Michael Moore, Madonna, Gloria Steinem & Angela Davis whom I’ve read about and studied throughout my Women & Gender Studies minor, Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Maxwell sang and had women crying, Scarlett Johansson, and many many more!

My favorite speech was from Ashley Judd though. She covered everything about being “nasty” lol I loved it!

SB: What kind of sign(s) did you create for this event?

AC: I wanted to create a sign that was inclusive of all women. I knew everyone was going out there for different reasons, myself included. In my blogs, I tend to focus on black women but this march wasn’t about that. I wanted to let all the women know that they are my sisters and I loved them for that.

SB: Is there anything else you’d like to share about how the Women’s March affected the world?

AC: I have a friend (who actually was my roommate from New Leadership 2015) who is enrolled and studying in a grad program in Ireland. We snapped each other at our marches until my phone died. I don’t think people realize that this was taken place all over the WORLD! Not just America.

SB: How can potential readers read your blog?

AC: They can read my blogs at empoweringforthefuture.blogspot.com and subscribe for new postings. I also have a Twitter account for my blog @EmpowerinBW & IG: AyeMmCee which also tells about new postings as well as share ways you can advocate for women’s and civil rights.

SB: What advice would you give to the freshman class especially the young women entering the same career path as you?

AC: I was so focused on being in a career I was okay in and will make money and not focused on my purpose and calling God had for my life. It's hard but God is in control and knows the plan he has for you...trust Him.

SB: What are your long-term career goals?

AC: I would LOVE to work with other activists and officials to get policies changed for the betterment of all people and to have true justice served in this nation. Anything within my passions that would give me fulfillment, whether in nonprofit organizations, in local government offices, or even in the Capitol, it’s wherever God wants to place me.

SB: Crawford tells me attending the Women’s March on Washington opened her eyes and inspired her.

Keep an eye out for this young activist as she continues to change reader’s lives by her posts and travels.