5 Ideas To Liven Up Your Life If Winter Just Isn't Your Thing Right Now

Use these simple techniques to make your winter living more vibrant and aligned with you.

46
Photo by Wes Hicks on Unsplash

As a certified fall and winter enthusiast, I thoroughly enjoy the cold months. In fact, I like them so much that while others are enjoying the last days of summer by the time September rolls around, I'm often annoyed that it isn't fully cold by then. Also, don't even get me started on how disappointed I was when the weather forecast for Christmas 2020 included snow, but it was 60 degrees and rained instead...

The point is, I can definitely help you find things to hang onto during these colder months, especially when it feels like it isn't just the weather that's cold. In whatever situation you may find yourself in, I hope these ideas help you find some warmth within and without.

1. Out with the old

green leaf plant Photo by Jazmin Quaynor on Unsplash

It may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but organizing and purging your space can really help you feel lighter. I have to admit that I didn't quite understand it at first, but once I began taking out old things out of my own closet, the easier it became and the lighter I felt. Start small and with any area of your space, and definitely don't feel pressured to do multiple areas in a short amount of time.

2. Take stock of what you have and anything you may need

teacup on book beside pink flower decor Photo by Carli Jeen on Unsplash

Continuing with the above, organizing is the perfect time to take stock of what you have, no longer need, and may need in the near future. There are also plenty of sales in the new year, so having a list of exactly what you might need will make your shopping more purposeful, and making this list on a regular basis will also make your lifestyle more sustainable.

3. Curate your closet

brown and white towel on brown wooden table Photo by Sarah Shull on Unsplash

Sweaters have always provided me a source of warmth and care during the winters, and are actually a significant reason why I love cold weather. Choose one form of winter wear - socks, sweatpants, sweaters, etc. - that makes you look forward to your outfit for the day. Using that as inspiration, curate a small collection that makes you feel good, reflects well on your personality, and makes you feel happy.

4. Blankets and throws

brown and white cat lying on pink textile Photo by Melody Less on Unsplash

A blanket or throw is an economical way to brighten up, decorate, or redesign any room. It's also an easy way to add a pop of color or complete a monochromatic-themed room. The only rule of thumb when choosing your blanket is that it should generate at least one positive emotion: whether it's happiness or hope or anything in between, choose beautifully!

5. Candles and soft string lights

lightened candle on glass Photo by Anthony DELANOIX on Unsplash

Possibly one of the simplest ways to add the most metaphorical and physical light to your space and soul is through candles, string lights, or both. These are easily available in-store and also online and come in a variety of scents and colors so you can transform your space with true intention. The best part with candles, especially, is that you can change them according to your mood and the season, so there's always something small and special to look forward to when change comes.

This new year, see if you can take one of these ideas (or any of your own!) to mindfully liven up your living area. Our outer surroundings can genuinely add to our peace and gratitude, and my hope is that these ideas do just that. 💛