WINDBREAKERS

WINDBREAKERS

Trust me, they're never going out of style

662
WINDBREAKERS
the

As you probably know, today’s fashion is heavily influenced by ‘90s fashion, so whatever was in fashion back in the day is probably in fashion today. So, whenever I need fashion inspiration, I go into my mom’s closet, find her dusty photo albums, and look through all of her pictures from the ‘90s. My mom was such a hip dresser back in the day, and she was always up-to-date with fashion trends. As my sisters and I were growing up, she always put us in stylish clothes and constantly was on the hunt to find the freshest fits. She was the one who instilled in me a love for fashion.

Anyways, the one piece of clothing that I consistently see in her outfits is a windbreaker. Windbreakers are thin coats that are worn during chilly or rainy weather. Nowadays, though, you’ll see fashion icons wearing them whenever and wherever. One thing I’ve noticed is that the funkier the windbreaker, the more stylish. If you simply type in “90s windbreaker” in Google, you’ll see that most of them are a funky blue, purple or pink. Rappers such as Kanye West, Drake and Earl Sweatshirt have been spotted rocking funky windbreakers, and their outfits obviously have an influence on hip-hop fashion.

After spending years eyeing windbreakers on street fashion blogs, I finally made the purchase last month. It’s crazy – I used to go on Etsy in hopes of buying one since they sell the funkiest and most vintage windbreakers, but each of them ended up costing more than $60. Now, if you know me well, you know that I like looking fresh, but I make sure everything I purchase is in my budget. Ain’t no way I’m throwing $60 for a windbreaker!

So, I did what I should’ve done years ago. I went to my local Savers, and I found the FRESHEST windbreaker EVER for a fraction of the price, and what’s even better is that it was from the Columbia brand. It’s been my favorite jacket this season, and I’m constantly getting compliments for it. I’ve paired it in numerous ways – with sweats, ripped boyfriend jeans, sweatshirts, layered flannels, and much more. It’s a staple in my wardrobe.

All in all, if you really want to spice up your wardrobe, go get a windbreaker from your local donation center. Ain’t nothing wrong with being a lil’ funky.