I Love Netflix And I Love Dating, So Do NOT Ruin Them By Lumping Them Together

Not all girls are down for casual hookups. So no, I will NOT "Netflix And Chill"

25

By now, many of us have at least some familiarity with this deluding term:

"Do you want to Netflix and chill?"

However, for anyone not knowledgeable with the term "Netflix and Chill," I, unfortunately, can assure you that it does not mean to lounge around on the couch with a bucket of popcorn and a Diet Coke and binge watch Orange is the New Black for hours on end.

It is another term for engaging in sexual relations with someone else, whether it be your significant other or a one night stand.

I am not going to sit and judge those who engage in one night stands. However, I am NOT one of those girls who wish to engage in casual sexual relations. Refusing to engage in casual sexual relations is not necessarily equivalent to waiting before marriage, although to some people, these two concepts can be synchronous.

I have been asked by guys more than once if I wanted to hook up with them. One guy, who I will call John*, I had only met once while attending a pool party. John asked (in front of everyone) if I had a boyfriend in the middle of our Cards Against Humanity game. I said that I did not have a boyfriend, and a few seconds of awkward silence later, another guest asked if there was a follow-up question to my response. Several more seconds of awkward silence followed, and then we resumed our game. Later on, John approached me and asked if I wanted to go "somewhere private." I declined. John asked if I knew what he was asking and I said something along the lines of going out somewhere just the two of us. I was not 100 percent sure of his actual intentions. John said he that was not looking for a relationship. At that point, I shut it down. I replied that I am a girl that you are either with me or not. John backed off after that. I feared that John would try to add me as a friend on Facebook and continue to be a thorn in my side, but to my surprise and relief, that did not happen.

The second guy, who I will name Mark, is someone that I see on a regular basis. It began with him texting me sporadically about personal relationship issues he was having with his significant other. One day, Mark messaged me saying that there was something that he wanted to inquire about but did not want anything to become uncomfortable afterward. It was early that morning, and I was still asleep. About half an hour later, Mark said to disregard the previous text as I was not the intended recipient. I had a strong suspicion that the text was intended for me but tried to brush it off.

Two days later, Mark had indeed proved my suspicions right by saying that the text was intended for me, but he had cold feet and redacted it. He wanted to know if I wanted to hang out and maybe more with him. Mark told me that his other half gave him the okay for him to do whatever he felt like outside of their relationship. I am notorious for excessively raising red flags when it comes to dating and relationships. I take something small and make it a much bigger deal than it has to be. I did try my absolute best to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that Mark just wanted to hang out and chat it up at a restaurant or something. I barely responded to his messages because of how uncomfortable I became, and Mark eventually said to take what he had said back.

I had a feeling that being "just friends" was not his intent, but I was unsure at first. A couple of weeks after taking back what Mark had said, he wanted not to take it back. What Mark was asking was whether or not I wanted to engage in a solely physical relationship with him, since he was allegedly permitted by his significant other to do so, as they do not have much of a relationship. He had even asked me to disclose my virginity status. Unless I am seriously dating someone, that is nobody's business except my own. I spent the next few days and even weeks avoiding most of his text messages, hoping it would eventually stop on its own.

But it did not. Eventually, I finally managed to state that I was not interested or comfortable in engaging in this kind of relationship. I said that by ignoring the texts, I thought this would blow over. Mark said he would delete my number. Part of me knew that was not going to happen, but I was glad this was over.

Well, it was not over quite yet. Last week, I had made a rather dumb and costly mistake. I had called Mark to ask for his assistance with a couple of issues I had earlier that day. Later that night, as I was sitting home freaking out because it finally sunk in as to how dumb my error was. While I was contemplating reaching out to someone else regarding it, Mark texted me asking how things went after we talked earlier. I told him it was hell and explained what had happened. He said that he would try to do everything in his power to help me out of this debacle, but he needed a favor in return.

I was rather confused as to what he could want as a favor. Mark's favor was for me to explain why I had avoided a lot of things in our previous text messages and finally just said I was uncomfortable with the whole thing. It apparently had been bothering him, and I guess this was a chance for him to get me to explain. We got things out and cleared things up. He then asked if I still was uninterested in what he was offering, which was indeed still no. Mark asked again about my virginity status since I said that I am not one for physical affection. He replied saying that I should make a one-time exception for him. After another round of a single sided text conversation, he pretty much said never mind and that when we saw each other next, we will collaborate to try to solve my mistake.

No, I will NOT Netflix and chill!

Sorry, not sorry.