Why I Will Be Called A Feminist

Why I Will Be Called A Feminist

The feminist movement, just like all social justice movements in our history, will always be important and should be remembered.

31
Why I Will Be Called A Feminist
Wordpress

Feminism: The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.

It’s been the hot word for a while, and people have taken sides. While many public figures, such as Barack Obama, Beyonce, and the Dalai Lama proudly call themselves feminists, others have explained why they don’t wish to be associated with the term. With popularity comes opposition, and it’s no secret that the word “feminism” has a negative connotation to many people. Feminists are frequently stereotyped as humorless and men-hating “femi-nazis,” and “Why I Won’t Be Called a Feminist,” along with many similar articles, confirms it's bad rep. In “Why I Won’t Be Called a Feminist,” the author discusses the faults of today's feminism, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinions and experiences, I have to disagree.

Because the definition is so broad, and because today's feminism is so diverse and inclusive, it’s easy to call feminism inconsistent and contradictory. However, since everyone has different experiences, it’s neither surprising nor a bad thing that different people have different interpretations of feminism. There are many ways to feel empowered, and different people will prioritize different issues. Today’s feminism is about choice, and while there is room for critique in every social movement, there are many reasons to embrace feminism. Feminism, and its history, is still very important, and there is still progress to be made.

But first, a little history.

There have been three waves of feminism. The first wave (1849-1900) focused on suffrage and other legal rights such as property ownership. Major figures include Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, and Mary Wollstoncraft, and many women in the first wave did not denounce traditional roles and expectations of women. Frederick Douglas was also involved in the movement, attending the Seneca Falls Convention in 1849, and many leaders were also involved in the abolition movement.

The second wave (1960-1990) focused on economic and social equality. In The Feminist Mystique (1963), Betty Friedan claimed that women were bored in the household. Unlike the first movement, the second wave emphasized family and social issues, and for the first time reproductive rights were publicly discussed. Legal victories include the Equal Pay Act of 1963, Title XI (1972), and the introduction of "the pill" in 1961. However, many criticize the second wave for prioritizing the experiences of middle class white women.

The third wave (1900-present) is much more intersectional and emphasizes diversity. While many question whether or not it's actually a wave, the third wave emphasizes pluralism, self-determination, and non-judgementalism. It highlights the experiences of all women, including transgender women and women of color.

Although some scholars may disagree on the start and end dates of the three waves, feminism is an important and established social movement in our history. Just like other important movements, such as the Civil Rights Movement and the American Revolution, it deserves to be remembered. There was a time when women could not vote and marital rape was legal, and it's dangerous to forget the injustices of history. However, you probably won't learn about many of these figures and their achievements unless you take a women's studies class.

So as a response to "Why I Don't Call Myself a Feminist," and the numerous similar articles, here are five reasons why I stand with feminism and its history.

1. Objectification of women is still prevalent in our culture, and it’s increasing with men.

At least from my experiences, it’s not about wanting men to stop caring about appearances. Everyone has preferences, and people want a partner who is physically attracted to them. Rather, the problem of objectification comes from the media and its homogenized beauty standard. In ads, women’s body parts are frequently cut up (sometimes literally), and women’s bodies become objects to be looked at rather than parts of an individual. This is called dismemberment, and it can make women believe they are unattractive unless every part of their bodies fits the “perfect” ideal, which is nearly impossible. Yes, things are changing with campaigns such as Dove’s Real Beauty and Aerie’s untouched ads. However, every time a company uses models over a size four or a fat girl posts a picture of herself in a bikini, it’s progressive for challenging the norm and she’s brave for simply loving herself. And those are the kind comments. The same thing is increasingly happening to men, which feminism acknowledges is detrimental as well.

2. While women need to empower each other, feminists don’t need to like every single women they meet.

Everyone’s allowed to dislike a person, especially if they hold an opposing belief that’s so important to you. I will not support someone’s actions I don’t agree with simply because she is a women. I agree that angrily harassing someone about their beliefs is counterproductive, and those people do not shed a good light on feminism. However, there is always room for discussion, and sometimes heated debates can be amicable and enlightening.

3. Feminism is also a men’s issue.

On television, the clueless football player is equivalent to the dumb blonde, and both are stereotypes feminism rejects. Feminism also acknowledges that many men struggle with body image and societal expectations. Whether through parents, peers, or television, we socialize men to hide their emotions and “man up.” Men are supposed to reject anything and everything feminine, which closes them off to many valuable traits. Rather than expressing emotions in healthy ways, they may resort to aggression or violent outbursts. We say “boys will be boys” when they’re children, but then we wonder why physical and sexual violence rates are so high.

So we must build up men as well! I agree with you 100 percent, and so do most of the feminists I’ve met.

4 Because women should be able to wear whatever they want without being harassed for it. And yes, I mean anything.

First, I agree that certain types of dress are appropriate for certain occasions. For instance, I believe it’s inappropriate to wear a profane shirt in a family friendly environment. However, harassment is uncalled for, and there are no grey areas. I don’t think asking men to act like decent human being with a common sense of courtesy is too much. As a feminist, I don’t believe men are naturally more inclined to scream at strangers every time they see something they like. Despite false stereotypes of feminists, I have faith in men and their humanity, and I believe they do indeed possess the trait of self control. When someone is wearing something particularly revealing, everyone is going to notice, men, women, and everyone else. It’s inevitable, and both women and men are equally sexual beings. However, that doesn’t give someone the right to scream vulgarities at a complete stranger. Everyone has opinions, but sometimes it’s best to just let others go about their day.

Women should not need to compromise their comfort because of men’s lack of self control. In 95 degree weather, shorts and a tank top are the most practical option. And young girls should not have to compromise their education so they don’t “distract” boys with a visible bra strap. Women’s bodies are not meant to be sexualized all of the time, and catcalling is not always sexual. A boy once pushed one of his friends in front of my sisters and me, and men in cars have honked, yelled, and barked at us while walking. And I don’t think my bermuda jean shorts and crew neck t-shirt covered in sweat were too provoking. It’s about entitlement, and thinking that screaming at a complete stranger is completely acceptable and un-punishable.

5. We have not achieved equal rights.

Feminism encompasses many important issues, both political and social. While women have the right to vote and receive an education, there are still many barriers, and the glass ceiling is still a reality. Many of the “important” issues of the world are feminist issues, such as the thousands of women homeless after leaving abusive partners, or the young children kidnapped for sex trafficking. Honor killings and acid attacks still occur, and campus sexual violence is so widespread that schools need to teach students about consent. The “there are more important issues in the world” argument promotes inaction and stagnation, and it’s just a morally satisfying way to ignore something you don’t personally care about. Plus, in a world where women are taught to cover their drinks and avoid being alone with strange men, essentially (and unfortunately) portraying men as threatening and potentially dangerous, I’d say catcalling is an important issue as well.

Again, I do not mean to offend, and everyone has a right to their own opinion. But feminism is not a dirty word, and the false stereotypes need to end. Plus, even if we do achieve full equality, feminism is still an important piece of our history that should always be remembered.