Why You Should Quit Entertainment Media

Why You Should Quit Entertainment Media

My experience and why everyone should remove entertainment media from their daily lives--or at least try to.

247

Whenever I'm asked if I've seen the latest season of 13 Reasons Why or Riverdale or any other popular Netflix series for that matter, I reply with the factual answer of, "I don't watch TV." My favorite part of conversation that always follows is the bewildered expression paired with the response of either "What?" "Why?" or "How?"

Well, I simply don't use media. Or rather I try to avoid media like the plague, at least entertainment media that is. We've heard enough people prone to using "back in my day," in every other sentence to understand that our generation uses quite a bit of media.

Media is impossible to avoid; it's plastered on signs crowding the sides of the roads, appears after every couple of songs through the radio, and we even get YouTube ads to remove certain media by 'upgrading to YouTube Red.' Media can be printed, broadcasted, displayed on the Internet or media can be a movie, a book, or your favorite TV show—one that I am telling you to avoid.

How could you possibly benefit from dropping your favorite Netflix show? Truly, the rewards are up to the individual, but take a glance below.

1. Improved Social Life

c1.staticflickr.com

All the time spent talking about if Jughead is going to be with Betty can easily be replaced by reflecting on that one time your friend peed in the sink during truth or dare.

2. Less Lonely Complex

c1.staticflickr.com

This ties into social life but when watching television and other entertainment media, people learn behaviors and create expectations of how social they should be in comparison to those they see on screen. Individuals need a different amount of social interaction and media should not set a standard.

3. Improved Attention

upload.wikimedia.org

While in class or at work, your mind wanders less to the escape that entertainment media provides and forces you to focus on the reality at hand.

4. Improved Productivity

c1.staticflickr.com

Instead of instantly running home to read the book you've been longing for all day or the TV show, when the temptation of entertainment media is removed, all the home projects or homework assignments suddenly take priority.

5. Impressed Peers

I've gotten plenty of disbelieving statements, most along the lines of, "I wish I could do that." Personally, I wish I could do it better and avoid it more.

It's important to note that not all entertainment media is bad and it's okay to binge on Netflix, devour a whole book series, or read Cosmo late at night. Just don't make it a habit. In the end, consume as much entertainment media as needed for you, but push your boundaries.