Why You Should Be An Organ Donor

Why You Should Be An Organ Donor

Every 10 minutes another name gets added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
94

In the United States there are currently 124,000 women, men and children in need of a lifesaving organ transplant. Even more shocking is that every 10 minutes another name gets added to the national organ transplant waiting list. Every day, an average number of 24 people pass away because they did not receive an organ transplant. Ninety percent of Americans say they support organ donation, but only 30 percent know the steps to take in order to be an organ donor.

There are many common misconceptions when it comes to organ donation. There are several facts you need to know about organ donation. First off, anyone can potentially be a donor; it does not matter your age, race or medical history and all major religions in the United States support organ donation. If you are admitted to the hospital and are a donor, the number one priority will be to save your life. If you are on the waiting list, a number of things are considered such as the severity of your illness, blood type, time spent waiting and other medical information that is important; financial status has nothing to do with when someone will receive a donation. There is no cost to the donor, and information about a donor is only released to the recipient if the donor requested to do so or agrees to it.

Organ donation has two options: a deceased donor and a living donor. A deceased donor can donate kidneys, pancreas, liver, lungs, heart and intestinal organs. A living donor can donate a kidney, and a portion of the liver, lung, intestine, or pancreas.

Organ donation can save the life of hundreds of people; it is an extremely important thing to consider. Just one organ donor can save the lives of up to eight people. Help save lives and sign up to be an organ donor here: http://www.dmv.org/organ-donor.php