Why You Should Accept Change In 2018

Why You Should Accept Change In 2018

Here is five pieces of helpful hints that will help you adapt to changing tides in 2018.
174

Change is good, right? It is necessary for growth, removing negativity and applying positive transformation in your life. Change forces us to see necessary improvement in our lives. Whether we like it or not, change comes when we least expect it to. 2017 for me, was the year of unwanted change. I had to reevaluate many aspects of my life and force myself to adapt to changing tides. While this may seem like an interruption and disturbance in our lives, evolving helps us understand and unfold into the people we desire to be.

If you’re like me, maybe 2017 wasn’t the easiest year for you. But nothing of substance comes from easiness. So instead of focusing on how 2018 is going to be perfect, (new year, new you am I right?) focus on how you can adapt to change that 2018 will bring into your life and how what you learned from 2017 has helped you become an improvement of your past self.

Here are 5 pieces of helpful hints (sorry refusing to call them resolutions) that will help you adapt to changing tides in 2018:

1. When change comes, roll with it

You can’t always explain why things happen. You can’t always predict the future. In my own experience, as being someone that likes to program the future, I have learned it is much easier to go with the flow. Everything can’t be perfect. You can’t plan the perfect 21st birthday for your best friend without some balloons popping. You can’t always decide what your next step in life is going to be right here, right now. You can’t plan at 3:00 what the two-year-old twins you babysit for are going to eat at dinner without change coming into play (or a few handfuls of food dumped on the ground). Whatever the case might be, accept and expect change to come into your life and go with the flow.

2. Accept that people change and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Hearts change. Friendships change. Feelings change. You can’t keep looking into the past and seeing someone for what they were. Sometimes people grow up. Sometimes other aspects of their life become more important. There’s nothing you can do about this other than wishing them the best. Friends that change will always be in your heart, but sometimes the change is what may tear you apart. Don’t resent them for that. Take the bits and memories of them with you, thanking them for the parts of both your lives that were intertwined together.

3. Accept that you change too

You may prioritize parts of your life more than you used to. Maybe right now you’re really focused on school, job or your friends. Maybe you’re really focused on a relationship or maybe a new passion has taken over your life. If your priorities change, that is okay too. Realize that balance is important and nothing is everlasting. Your new boo may be the focus of your interests now, but don’t forget your friends. You might have gotten really obsessed with photography, but don’t cut out your Chemistry homework because of it. Balance your change and the people, passions and you, personally, will be more grateful for your change.

4. Reflect on Change

How has change in 2017 helped you grow? Maybe you can make more decisions for yourself because the people you thought were there for you weren’t. Maybe a death in the family makes you cherish your loved ones more. If you reflect on the past and retain a better understanding of the changes in your life, the more secure with the change you will be.

5. See Change as Good

Just like the cycle of the seasons, change is a part of life. Change brings together risk, growth, and movement in life. Remaining static and safe may seem like the best option at times, but this isn’t the case. Remember a time that you took a risk, made the move, took a chance and think about what you learned. Would your life be the same if you didn’t date that guy, rejected the job that you thought wasn’t for you, or didn’t go out that Tuesday night when you met your best friend and future roommate? A ship in the harbor is safe, but that’s not what a ship is built for. You can’t evolve if your safe and comfortable, so accept that change is inevitable and adapt to 2018 with your head held high