I Am Defined By The Things I Write Down

I Am Defined By The Things I Write Down

I do not just like to write, but I need to write.
10

As a writer, and an English major, I am questioned by many as to why I enjoy this field of study. “Why are you majoring in English?” Or, “What good is this going to do in your life?” Or, “How will you find a job?” Or, “Oh my god, why do you like to write?! I hate to write!” These are some of the questions I have been asked the most throughout my life, and I do have quite a few answers for them.

Throughout my education, English was the class that always intrigued me. Literature is such a beautiful work of art, which has and still continues to amaze me. The way certain words flow together on paper is mesmerizing. Sometimes while reading a piece of literature, it brings out emotions that I did not think were even possible to feel. I admire authors who are able to bring their readers to tears. To allow their readers to actually connect to their writing and relate to the story they are trying to tell. That, in my opinion, is true talent.

So, if you ask me why I like to write, I could go on and on with answers.

I need to write because it’s the only way for me to tell the boy who broke my heart how I really feel. How he made me feel so sad, that at times it was hard to breathe. But at one o’clock in the morning, when tears were streaming down my face, a pen and a piece of paper were my best friends.

I need to write because I can’t look my father in the eyes and ask him why he left his baby girl to be raised by a single mother.

I need to write because I’m better at explaining how much I appreciate and love my family with every ounce of my being on paper.

I need to write because it is the only way I can express how I feel, with complete honesty and emotion.

Without writing, I would not be the person I am today. Without it, I would not have aspirations or dreams of doing something that I truly enjoy. I would never say how I truly feel. No one would ever understand how I actually feel without reading my writing.

So, to all of you that question my passion and my love for one of the most beautiful and purest things in my life, yes I do love to write and that will never change.