Why I Write: The Comeback of a Writer

Why I Write: The Comeback of a Writer

If I am not writing then I am not being honest with myself.

72
Why I Write: The Comeback of a Writer

I did not know what to write to make a comeback. I have not published anything in several months; in fact I have not published anything since last year-2016. Therefore, I had no idea how to stage this comeback. I have no idea where to start or what to say. I toyed with the idea of writing the reasoning behind it all and being vulnerable but I figured that those are emotions I rather keep private and only to those who have proven their loyalty and love over the past few months. I thought about possibly writing an opinion piece on the world around me but I felt that would come out of left field and maybe be a little to judgmental. Then finally, I considered a listical about the most important people in my life or about the life lessons but again that is flat and impersonal, not exactly what I wanted in a comeback.

Then I heard a quote, “If I am not writing I am not being honest with myself” and it was one of those things that stung. It was a phrase that I kept replaying over and over in my head for not only the rest of the day, but the week and the upcoming month. It was as if I had run into the brick wall and God was telling me you will not feel better until you write it all out. You will not overcome the death until you share the memories. You will not feel worthy unless you tell others how much you love them. You will not be content until you are honest with yourself.

Through this revelation I realized that I had not been writing, I would type a few words or a couple paragraphs and then stop. The writer’s block was real and I am positive it was because I was not immersing myself in the experience. I was not allowing my walls to come down and my vulnerabilities to stare at me as I drafted them on the computer screen. That is the main reason why I write. It is honesty.

I write to feel heard: To share with others why I believe the things I believe. To share with other the struggles and most importantly the joy I get out of living my life. To share my views and opinions. To have other know exactly what I am thinking and always have access to those thoughts. Through a Conflict Class I am taking I have learned that I am avoidant when it comes to conflict, and writing makes that go away.

I write to inspire: I know realistically speaking not many people take the time to read my blog (to those who do thank you), I try to end it in a positive way always. To make people feel that everything will be ok and that we are all incredible human beings. I truly believe that. I hope that through me sharing someone in the vast world of the Internet never gives up, has a good laugh during finals week, and even knows what TV shows to watch based on the funny gifs I use in my work. “Writing can change lives, and there are lives that need to be changed.”

I write because I have fun: Writing is a pass time, it is something I love to do in my PJs with a cup of tea, or milk, or coffee (if I was old enough I would even say with a glass of wine just so you would get the picture). I am snuggled in my favorite blanket while Ed Sheeran or Netflix plays in the background. I laugh out loud at myself when I am witty or make a joke that I think is hilarious. I jump up and down when my article gets shared or when 10 of my 21 articles on the odyssey alone get viewed over 100 times and two of them over 900 close to 1,000 times. I get an adrenaline rush.

I write to document: There is nothing that makes me laugh, cringe, or proud than reading the things I have written. I look through old computer documents, journals, and even notes saved on my high school iPad. Sometimes I impress myself with my maturity and sometimes I laugh at the immaturity and what exactly where my thoughts at the moment. Either way it is a way of documenting my life. Some say a picture is worth a thousand word and I agree but how much more authentic then the actual thousand words. One-day people can Google my name 10, 20 years from now or even once I die and find out about me I am writing history. The US constitution , the federalist papers, Letters from a Birmingham jail, the bible, Commen Sense, the 14th amendment and so many more.

I write to find my way: Ask my best friend or my family and they will tell you that I am the person that needs to walk into the brick wall in order to learn my lesson. I do not know how to take advice; I need to learn it myself. Through writing I can change the endings and visually predict the outcomes of my choices. I can write my thoughts and learn about myself so many times I realize why I behave certain ways as I explain my behavior. Writing paves the road for me and often times it is the road less traveled.

I write because I love words:I love reading what I write. I love the way the words look on a screen or the page. I love visually seeing my thoughts; I read my writing as if I were speaking it. Those who know me enjoy my writing more because they can hear me saying it. Let us take a moment and appreciate these fun words “Ineffable” “Petrichor” “Syzygy”

I write because I never thought I could: It was not until my senior year of high school that I realized I might actually be good at writing. It was when a teacher sat me down and told me I was very good at it that I was inspired. It was something that someone saw and me and I never thought I could, so I write for them. For the person who believed in me. Also to those High School teachers who looked at my GPA before my writing take a look at me now!

I write because I can be creative: I am a imaginative and creative person. I love art, crafts, theatre and anything that is people emotions being expressed. I love things that are not black and white. However, I can not always sit and paint on a canvas or I do not have the fund to go to Target and buy a crafts project. I however, can always write and write about anything. Metaphors, clique alliterations, a romance novel, or a biography.

I think back and remember that the first time I was every published and by that I mean in a book with a hard cover and many short stories was in second grade. I wrote a story titled the “Fairness Godmother” my characters where named after Lizzie McGuire characters and looking back on it injustice is still something to this day that makes my blood boil maybe I learned that from second grade writing class.

As the great write Lin-Manuel Miranda and Nas wrote in the song " Wrote My Way Out" - " I picked up a pen like Hamilton: I wrote my way out" and I am coming back strong. If I am not writing then I am not being honest so here I am writing like I am running out of time.