Why We Should Learn To Be Happy

The world sometimes seems to be completely falling apart - from the recent massacre in Orlando, to the unstable topics arising in political matters. It’s hard to find a common idea that all individuals can grasp on to when they need hope.

It is important to remember that unexpected tragedy will always occur. This, we cannot control. However, the mind is an extremely powerful thing. What would separate us from our neighbor if our mind wasn’t as colorful as it can possibly be?

It is extremely important to always realize the potential that lies within all of us. The power to change our lives, and to make the world a better place.

When we dwell on unfortunate events, we create even more unfortunate events. The time we spent crying could have been times we were laughing or creating fond memories. Sometimes, it can be hard to keep that in perspective.

I am not going to use the common example “There are people in other countries who don’t have what we do.”
Yes, this fact is true. But sometimes, what people don’t realize, is that the people that are struggling the most live right next to us.

Although we might not be able to help the underprivileged in foreign countries, we do have the ability to create change in our own home environments. There are probably a couple hundred people that we go to school with each day suffering with mental illness. Sometimes, it is easy for us to pick up on this, but we do nothing about it. Even when it is slightly hard to tell, what harm would it do to say a simple “Hello” to a guy you generally wouldn’t talk to, or to compliment a girl on her shoes? Sometimes, the smallest remarks have the largest impact on a person’s day who feels that they have nothing left to look forward to.

There may be relatives in our family struggling with disease, or even members of a friend’s family. At times, we forget what it is like to deal with these kind of hardships. A simple phone call could brighten their day, or even a handmade card. If they are in the hospital, go out of your way to visit them.

Always be attentive. You may be thinking, “Well, what does that even mean?”

What I mean by that is to always be looking around you, observing everything you can. This is important for many reasons. When you are seventy-five, in a nursing home, telling stories to your grandchildren, won’t you want to remember what the sky looked like on the day you got your license? How about the girl you saw at the grocery store with the bright green eyes? These little details could make all the difference one day, especially when you are trying to recall old memories. It will be easier to remember them if you remember small details within them.

Another reason is because it is so easy to be distracted while walking down the street alone, or even in small areas. You never know who could sneak up behind you. This is especially helpful with situations such as driving, running, and walking as well.

Lastly, being attentive is a quality that most lack. It means that if someone has the smallest hint of sadness on his face, you would be able to pick up on it when no one else would. It means that you would be able to notice when a man had a little too much to drink, and slightly stumbles over a chair. No one else might have been noticing, but because you were paying attention, you made sure he didn’t drive home and get in an accident.

How does helping yourself, as well as others, have any reason with wanting to be happy?

Well, it has everything to do with it. To be happy, truly happy, means that there is already happiness out in the world, created by you. One cannot fully be content if he has not reached his full potential in giving back to others, because he will only receive what he puts in. To love is to be loved, so to speak.

So, why should we learn to be happy? Because it will change the world.