Why We Should Allow Ourselves To Dream Without Limits

It's a necessity.

12
The Odyssey Online

Dreaming. It's a hard concept that most of us think lightly of. We as human beings are consistently asked over the years "what do you want to do with your life?" and we normally come back with statements like "I want to be a doctor", "I want to be a vet", basically "I want to be *insert practical situation here*". That's not a problem, but with society and the way that many of us were raised and the way that our parents were raised, is to be practical.

To dream practically, meaning putting your real dreams aside to only set foot into something that's going to get you to a place of no risk, is what we constantly do, but it doesn't help us in the long run. We need to listen to our brains and our hearts. We know what we really want to do in life, but somehow we always set our actual dreams aside to pursue something "practical".

This isn't something easy to hold back on either. It's in our DNA as humans, to confine and live within a bureaucracy. We are used to predictability, and we like efficiency. Stop it. You can do whatever you put your mind to.

If you want to get an art degree, get that art degree. If you want to skip out on the whole college thing and backpack through Europe, do it! Don't put yourself through something you don't want to do. You have complete control of your life, and if you don't it's time to take control. Don't sit around moping because you didn't take the chance you wanted.

It all seems easy to say, and it's not easy to do. No part of dreaming is easy to do. You see what you want but sometimes your dreams can be unattainable and that is completely normal. Your dreams are thought out plans that can be hard to do, expensive and stressful, but that's how they are supposed to be.

The world is unlimited. There are a lot of different languages, seven continents billions of people in the world, amazing food, music, and books...don't feel like there's too much, because you can do it all. It will just take some time, but allow yourself that time.

They are dreams, and you have to work to make them come true. That's the best part about dreams is that not only do your dreams come true, but you have the accomplishment of MAKING them come true.

You get to walk across the stage with your degree. You got all of those amazing pictures and souvenirs from the places you traveled. You did it. YOU.

YOU can make your dreams come true. Don't let anyone, especially society, tell you differently.