What You Need To Know About Anxiety

What You Need To Know About Anxiety

So common yet so misunderstood

134
What You Need To Know About Anxiety
culturacolectiva

As of lately, it seems that anxiety has become "mainstream." I see and hear this word get dropped so often and so casually. It has transformed into something that's "relatable" to joke about on the daily. But anxiety is not a trend. It is not a joke or in any way considered casual. People use the word with negligence, not grasping its full depth.

Coming from someone with anxiety, I wish the word wasn't used so freely, let alone in a joking manner. For me and many others out there, anxiety is so much more than most people realize. It's not just feeling slightly uncomfortable or worried. It feels like its own separate world. It takes over without your consent and sends you spiraling into a sheer sense of panic. What I want people to know is that when I tell you I have anxiety, I don't mean I get nervous sometimes. Anxiety for me is struggling to get out of my room to go anywhere, like the library or the cafe. I force myself to go. I take the long way to places just to avoid people looking at me. I tell myself to speak normally and calmly to the cashier even though every inch of me feels uncomfortable. And sometimes I get tired. I get tired of pushing myself to do these things that are so much easier for everyone else. I hate talking about it too because I feel like it makes me seem like a scared person. But I've come to realize that's not true. There are a lot more people who understand me in more ways than I can imagine.

Breathing gets harder. Thoughts get louder. It can be scary, even terrifying. Anxiety has the ability to be so crippling it is insane. So no, I don't think it should ever be downplayed. I don't think it is right to romanticize or popularize in any way. Anxiety is a very real thing that needs to be taken seriously. When you joke about anxiety, people who actually have it are affected by it. Don't be that person that gives little weight to such a significant obstacle.

The misuse of the word upsets me because hundreds of people out there experience crippling anxiety that at times paralyzes them or even causes panic attacks. The word has such great strength and meaning. Using it in an easy going way takes from what it truly is. The more it is casually mentioned the more people misunderstand it. The definition becomes diluted and further normalizes a mental illness. I realize people don't mean to do this, but it ends up being disrespectful and ignorant. We must remember to be courteous, kind, and considerate. You never know what someone else is going through no matter how confident you are. So swallow your pride and instead allow understanding and thoughtfulness to escape your mouth.