Why We Can't Take College for Granted

Why We Can't Take College for Granted

There's more to it than just showing up.

49
Why We Can't Take College for Granted
Wokandapix

For some of us, spring break is just around the corner. For others, you may be reading this while sitting on the beach already on your break (and if that's the case, wow! Thank you so much for wanting to read my words on vacation!) Anyways, I don't know about you guys, but this semester has been absolutely crazy! I've had so many papers to do and books to read! I am way beyond ready for a break from all of it! With one week ahead of me before I can officially clock out, I found this quote today that really stuck with me:

Wherever you are, be all there! ~Jim Elliot, Missionary

With all the craziness we experience in school, it can be really easy to just do what's required to get by. We read the book, write the report, and do it again with another, not really taking time to analyze and apply it. We take the notes while sneaking as many glances at the clock we can without being too obvious. Suggested readings? Uhh... how about no. There's certain classes that I am especially not interested in - material that has nothing to do with the degree and job I want to have. A passive attitude towards what I'm learning has started to creep in at times. But this quote talks about doing the exact opposite!

Wherever you are, be all there!

There are opportunities we might not even know about in every place and situation we find ourselves in: school included! On the surface, we may be struggling to grasp those math equations or those way-above-our-heads philosophical theories. We may not see any purpose in investing so much time in these things. But that's just it: we're investing so much time! Surely there's a reason for it or else college would've been abolished a long time ago. It seems like a waste of time if we're just sitting in class mentally dead. If that's how we're spending the time, there could be so much more we could be doing! So, instead of dropping the class and testing that theory, maybe we can make good use of the time by taking an active role in what's being said or read. Do some background research; ask questions. Analyze if we agree with the professor or not. Why? Draw in our future occupations. How can this benefit what we will do someday? A lot of times, I find that what I'm being taught and given examples of is supposed to not just benefit my career, but my life! If we can see it like that, I think it will be a lot easier to stay awake in class!

Step away from all the stress for a minute, and I think we can all see that education is an amazing opportunity to have at our disposal. I think we often take it for granted. Our professors have accomplished and studied so much, and they are using their time to pass knowledge on to us. They grade our papers and get up class after class to talk over our disrespectful snores and blank stares. That's pretty generous when you think about it! Not to mention, in other areas of our world, many people don't have any access to knowing more about the world around them. We have the chance to be well-rounded, and just because this is such an awesome opportunity, we've even agreed to pay thousands of dollars for it. Ouch.

Wherever you are, be all there!

God has placed us in classrooms all over the country. This is where our lives are at for now. So, instead of longing for graduation and barely scraping by, let's take advantage of our time, absorb all we can, and be all there!