WHY ULTIMATE IS A REAL SPORT

WHY ULTIMATE IS A REAL SPORT

Those who say Ultimate isn't a "real" sport, have never played ultimate.

76
WHY ULTIMATE IS A REAL SPORT
Burt Granofsky

1. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE LAYOUT FOR A DISC

Watching a layout involuntary triggers a bodily response to the pain you know the player felt diving into the ground. But you know that goal is gonna be worth the soreness you're going to feel tomorrow.

2. POINTS CAN LAST UP TO AN HOUR, WITH NO SUBS!!

Depending on weather conditions, the disc could just keep turning, leaving no one with a point and everyone in pain. the longest point I've ever played was 40 minutes in 35 mph winds, with a downpour, and 30-degree weather. I was the worst 40 minutes of my life but also the best 5 seconds when we scored.

3. YOU MAKE FRIENDS FOR LIFE

The people on your team, whether high school, college, or club, are friends for life. There's nothing like a post-tourney diner stop to bond players.

4. TOURNAMENT WEEKENDS

On tournament weekends the only thing you do is the tournament. Wake up super early, play Ulitmate, go home, shower, sleep, and repeat. You're dedicating your entire weekend to a sport you love.

5. SCORING

Scoring is an amazing feeling, and when you catch that disc in the end zone, it's like bliss.

6. LEARNING NEW THROWS

OI, IO, scoober, hammer, hucking, flicking. When you first learn these throws it seems so complicated, but once you got them down, it's like riding a bike.

7. SPIRIT OF THE GAME

Spirit of the game is the aspect of ultimate that makes it completely different from any other sport. Spirit of the game is respect for the game, for your teammates, and for your opponents. It's making sure fun is always a part of every game and if you did something awesome there is a high-Five waiting for you. This rule, and yes, it is a literal rule in our official rulebook, is what makes ultimate what it is. Without the spirit of the game, this would just be any other sport.

8. ANYONE CAN PLAY

Literally anyone, as long as you want to play and you're ready to commit to practice. You can do it!!

9. IT'S CALLED ULTIMATE

Like that is dope. The sport you're playing is the Ulitmate sport, AKA the best.

10. EASY AND CHEAP

Literally, all you need are cleats and a disc. Discs max out at like $15 or $20, and you can get cheap cleats from anywhere.

11. MIXED GENDER SPORT

Boys and girls, and girls and girls, and boys and boys. There are single-gendered and mixed teams and it's equal. The only thing that matters is how well you play.

12. COMMUNITY

Ultimate really is a community. It's huge and you'd never know if someone played until you bring it up in as many conversations as you can. Plus everyone who plays Ultimate is pretty awesome (coming from an unbiased source ;) ).