Why Twenty Is The New Sixty

Why Twenty Is The New Sixty

14
Why Twenty Is The New Sixty

Now I know what you're all thinking: twenty is the new sixty? Leah, you are crazy! Well maybe just a bit, but let me explain. 

In the wonderful world of college, we are tested to our limits to outperform all expectations set on us. We are pressured to do things that are considered the "norm" of college traditions and that being young means to always go extreme and risk it all and get it done quick so we can be real grown ups. But did we ever consider taking a page out of the older generation's book? 

Think about it: we live in a fast-paced world full of ninety assignments due in one day, five million exams to cram for, how many parties can we attend in one night, or how will we know what major is best for us in the long run. Now hold onto your pants, this is where it all starts to make sense. We complain when we have to walk behind an old couple -- we all do it, don't lie to yourself -- we want everything at the tips of our text-worn fingers and we hate when we have to wait longer than five seconds in line for a piping hot cup of coffee. 

"Slow" is like a ball and chain of a word itself; it makes us feel like we are trapped and that we can't do everything we want to do right now, but did you ever think that slow is a good thing? You remember when you were younger and your parents would say, "Stop and smell the roses." Well, they weren't saying it just to say it they meant it because secretly they wish they were young like you, experiencing everything so new and exciting so they wanted you to take your time and really stop and smell the roses. 

Life is a rose; it's sweet and vibrant but can also hurt you if you take it too head-on without thinking about how to handle it. Right now in our golden ages we are grabbing that rose too quickly without truly stopping to analyze it with care and detail. You don't have to be old to take it slow, but you should rip that page out of the older generation's book and really analyze it like the rose. Take time to do things, and I mean really take your time and not just half it and call it a day, but really take the time to understand how to handle life and how to cherish every single moment. Because, believe it or not, one day when you are sixty you will look back and wish with all your heart that you could go back to your twenties and take it slow, take it all in, and truly understand what it means to live your life to the fullest. 

So treat yourself to taking it slow. Instead of hitting up High Street for Thirsty Thursday every week, why not spend the night in with a good book or movie with some friends? Instead of cramming so hard for this next exam that you feel like your brain will explode into a million pieces if you read another word, why not take the day/night off and go for an adventure? And instead of doing everything quickly, why not truly stop and smell the roses? Because you can never tell how sweet or fragile or beautiful a rose is until you have truly seen it up close and take it all in. 

Now GO live life! I dare you. Cheers!