College Life Is More Than Just Partying

College Life Is More Than Just Partying

I am going to be studious as well as sociable, but most of all, I am going to be me!

164
College Life Is More Than Just Partying
Alexander Perlak

Going into college, I have heard so many epic stories about off-campus parties that go on at the different colleges and universities around me. There are always the ones with the drunk friend, the cops and the girls you wanted to get with. College isn’t just a life of partying, though. There is a lot more to it such as making friends, participating in clubs and attending on-campus activities.

Walking into college, I didn’t know who I was. Was I the type of person who was going to be stuck in his dorm all day doing homework, that kid who is afraid to speak up, or the life of the party? Making friends in college, I’d say, was the biggest transition from high school to college. As I got acclimated, however, I started to find my niche. I love hanging out with my new friends. From dinner to spending a night in the city, I have found friends that will go above and beyond for me.

Another way I found my niche was by joining clubs. In high school, everyone knew me as the guy who did clubs. I feel like I’m starting to get my reputation back as I explore the different clubs and activities Mount Saint Mary College has to offer. I started by joining Improvology and Different Stages, clubs that filled my inner theater kid. Next, I joined the Delta Leadership Society, a club based around giving back to your community. Lastly, I joined the Knight Notes, our A capella club on campus. As I started my journey, I was shy, but through these clubs and activities, I developed into a better me with the help of the new friends I made along the way.

One of the biggest steps I took so far in college was applying for Freshmen Class President. To be honest, I didn’t know I was going to do this until the last day I was able to submit an application. I was debating whether or not to apply, but then I thought to myself, college is about trying new things and I want to make the most of my college career. In the end, I actually won the election. I was surprised and proud of myself at the same time. Being Freshmen Class President allows me to voice not only my opinion but the concerns my peers may have as well. The title also lets me be apart of the senate of the Student Government Association at my school. This group of students is motivated and devoted to helping each other, the campus, and the community around the college, and is exactly where I belong.

Lastly, many campuses have a great student activities department. Mount Saint Mary College offers so many different activities for students every month. From square dancing at country night to creating a fish tank at make your own aquarium and even winning a Keurig at bingo, this school has been very good at providing activities to its students. Student activities also provide trips to go off campus. We got to experience the magic of Wicked on Broadway, which was definitely one of the highlights of my college career so far. When I told my mom about all the fun I was having, she called the college a country club because it was so rich in fun activities for its students.

College has so much more to do than partying. As I have mentioned, there are many ways to get acclimated to the campus. Making friends is an important thing to do and it contributes to a well-being on campus. Having some people to help you up when you are down is a necessary thing in college. If you feel like you aren’t having luck in finding friends, know that it is not too late. Most campuses have many clubs that are just waiting to be joined by new members. You can meet new people and have fun in activities that interest you at the same time. Next, take advantage of what your school has to offer. If you and another person want to go on a trip, go and get out for a night. College is a stressful place and it won’t kill you to have a period of relaxation for once.My last piece of advice it to be yourself and don’t be afraid to try new things. Stepping into college, I didn’t know that I’d be where I am today. This journey, although only ten weeks in, has been one of the most amazing and magical journeys I had ever taken. So to answer my question before about who I am going to be in college, I am going to be studious as well as sociable, but most of all, I am going to be me!