Why The Women's March Gives Us Hope

Why The Women's March Gives Us Hope

How a sea of Nasty Women showed me that we still have something to hope for; if we stick together.

13
Why The Women's March Gives Us Hope
Cassandra Burge

On January 21, 2017, more than 5 million people across the United States gathered on the streets of countless cities in solidarity for the Women’s March on Washington. There were protests in every state in America as well as every continent in the world. In Washington D.C alone, there were around 1 million people marching in protest, which is double the size of the crowd at Donald Trump’s inauguration the day before. There are many reasons as to why women and men of all different ages, races, sexualities, religions, economic statuses, and abilities came together that day. The main reason being that with the newly elected administration taking over, many people feel that their rights or the rights of their loved ones will be taken away or hindered.

Personally, I marched for many different reasons. I marched because Planned Parenthood is a place I have visited many times, for countless reasons other than an abortion. I marched because I believe that our government has no right to tell women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. I marched because our administration is determined to attack a woman’s ability to make a choice, but allow our male counterparts to do as they please with their bodies. I marched because tampons are still taxed while Viagra is not. I marched because our Vice President believes that my love is worthy of a trip to an electric chair or a death sentence. I marched because consent is required, regardless of what Trump has said. I marched because for every dollar a white man earns, I only make 79 cents; my African American sisters only make 60 cents and Hispanic women only make around 55 cents. I marched for my Muslim brothers and sisters who have become the target of fear and hate thanks to President Trump’s rhetoric throughout his campaign. I marched because I know as a white woman I have more privilege than people of color do in this country. I marched because LGBTQ+ people are still not treated as equals to their heterosexual counterparts, in society or in our laws. I marched because this country does not need to be made “Great Again,” but it needs to be Great for the first time, for all of its people. I marched because I am determined to help this country move forward, not back.

I drove 6 hours and got to experience the Women’s March on Washington in D.C firsthand, and let me tell you, it was like nothing I had ever seen before. I have never seen so many people in one place at one time. The streets of D.C were packed with people from all different walks of life. It was a sea of solidarity and pink hats. Like-minded people who took the time out of their lives to show up for our country surrounded me. To make a statement that women’s rights are human rights and we will not stop until that is recognized. To remind our government that everyone in this country should be afforded the same opportunities and happiness that some people have the luxury of receiving at birth.

My first taste of how powerful this movement was going to be was when I had to wait in a line for over an hour just to get on to the metro that led us into D.C. I walked up to New Carrollton station expecting to see a good amount of people but was surprised when a line of hundreds snaked around the entrance. After waiting and buying my metro card, my girlfriend, her sister, and I squished into a packed metro car with smiles plastered on our faces. Normally, I hate being cramped close with strangers, but that day I didn’t mind that I was like a sardine in that metro because I knew that everyone on the train was headed to make history.

It hit me again when I was trying to make my way through the sea of people and found myself stopping in order to take in America Ferrera’s speech. She spoke with such elegance and passion that I was mesmerized. She voiced that, “The President is not America. His cabinet is not America. Congress is not America. We are America. And we are here to stay.” It reminded me that while not all of us can be President, or a Senator, or a Governor; that we are America. We make up this country and we have a right to decide how we are treated here. That our voices and our needs deserve to be heard and acted upon. The government works for the people. They work for us. Our taxpayer dollars pay their salaries. Therefore, we decide. It was an incredibly powerful speech to start our day off, and from that moment, I knew I would walk around being inspired constantly by people I didn’t even know but felt connected to.

Janelle Monáe paid tribute to slain African Americans by having their mothers come up on stage and chant their names during “Hell You Talmbout.” The audience screamed their names back with such fervor that I found myself in actual tears. The passion that all of these people brought with them that day gave me more hope for our future than I have felt in the past year. It gave me hope that when our current President says he is giving “the power back to the people,” that we will hold him accountable for including everyone. The speakers all lit a fire inside the hearts of the millions of people watching. They talked of a world of inclusiveness that we have never seen before. They vowed to never stop fighting until we were all equal. They encouraged us to run for elected positions so that we could create laws that protected everyone’s rights.

Throughout the day, I had to keep reminding myself how important and historical this day was. It seemed surreal that so many people were coming together for the same cause. It was one of those ‘pinch me’ moments you have where the sight in front of you is too good to be true. I was taken aback by the sea of Nasty Women in front of me, all vocalizing the same concerns and fears for the upcoming storm the new administration would bring. It reminded me how powerful we are. How strong we can be when we stand together.

I marched alongside people I had never met before; all of us walking the same path that advocates and civil rights leaders have walked in the past. I walked past the Capitol Building, The Washington Monument, and the White House, feeling the symbolic irony of being able to see so many of America's beloved government buildings as I walked in protest against a government that is ignoring a majority of its people's concerns. Our voices rang out across the city as we chanted, "This is what a Democracy looks like," and "We are here to stay, welcome to your first day." There was passion and hope like there's never been before.

Whether you were at the Women’s March on Washington or supporting from home, history was made. We made it clear that we do not plan to let this administration take the rights of our people away. We will not be taken back to times when women had no choice and people of color were treated like animals and LGBTQ+ people had to hide their love. We will move forward and create a better society for all Americans. It is important to realize that everyone has a place in this movement. Whether you walked down Pennsylvania Avenue or tweeted out your support, together we can and will make a difference.

The Women’s March on Washington has a website that shows you actions you can do for the first 100 days of the new administration. Call your Senators and tell them what issues are dear to you. Run for local office so that you can make a difference. Most importantly, never give up or lose hope. Do not let people who think differently or don’t hold the same beliefs as you silence you. Speak up about issues that matter to you, regardless of how other’s will view you because of it.

[all photos used were taken by me]