This Is Why The Red Wings Are So Great

This Is Why The Red Wings Are So Great

Detroit will always be known as "Hockeytown."

80
This Is Why The Red Wings Are So Great
NHL

One of the greatest sports dynasties in history is from our great state, Michigan. The Detroit Red Wings are one of the greatest hockey teams because of the legends that have played for them, the great fans of Detroit, and because they have been in the league since it first started.

The Red Wings are a part of the Original Six, which are the first six teams to start playing in the professional league in 1926, and have since played in a vast amount of games. The league has been around for almost 100 years and this past year, the Red Wings played in the Centennial Classic, which is the 100th year of the NHL. The game that is meant to have so much meaning in it included the Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs because they have so much history in the game.

The Red Wings are one of the best teams in NHL history and have the most Stanley Cups won out of any other team. They are currently third in most overall championships so they are up there in most overall awards. They have 7 players that had their number retired and 72 players inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. over 60 years of the leagues best being inducted is a great way of showing how truly dominant your franchise really is.

Detroit has always been known for being the place to watch the best team play, this is why the city is formally known as Hockey Town. This nickname was given to Detroit after being the best for years and rightfully so. The team is so dominant when it comes to competition that they are currently on one of the longest streaks in sports history. That is being in the playoffs for 24 straight years. You have to be in the top 8 spots in the conference in order to go and Detroit has been there for a long long time. Us all as fans say that we are proud to be fans of such a team and have given us numerous years of pure enjoyment. From the big hits from Kronwall, to the finesse of Datsyuk, this team has given all of us enjoyment in some way.

There are many ways that make Detroit such a great reason why the Red Wings are so great, we belong to the most dedicated group of fans in the nation. Detroit has been known for bad sports teams in the past like the Lions going 0-16, or the Tigers being horrible for years. No matter what comes our way, we will move on and the Red Wings are always there to help us out. Hockey Town has been there for us when we did have bad seasons with the other Detroit teams, and we are glad that we are apart of it.

Also I would like to say farewell to the Joe Louis Arena, we have made so many memories and have witnessed some of the greatest events in sports history and want to say thank you. The Detroit Red Wings are moving to their new home next year at the Little Caesars Arena and hope there are many more memories to be made there as well.