Why The Fight for Women's Reproductive Rights is Important

Other people's reproductive decisions don't effect you.

496
Human Rights Watch

As I've grown older, I've slowly become aware of things like Planned Parenthood, abortions, birth control, pregnancy, sexual activity, contraceptives, and so much more, all of which fit under the umbrella of women's reproductive rights. I didn't learn this through sex education because I never had it. I learned about these topics from books, the internet, other people's experiences, or information from others who had sex ed. Some of those sources may not be the best place to get info, but it's important to at least know basics.

At the age of 13 in the 8th grade, one of my classmates got pregnant. We were all so shocked. I was expecting some sort of "sex talk" from school or my parents, but it didn't happen. I honestly didn't even know what sex was or how to do it. All I knew was the basic information from the "period talk" we got in 5th grade. Girls have a uterus with fallopian tubes on the side, and ovaries filled with a lot of eggs were attached to that, and once a month an egg got released, and a period followed after that at some point in time. That summer after 8th grade, my best friend was visiting from out of town, and we were playing in the saltwater pool in my yard. I honestly don't remember how it came up, but we were on the subject of humping. I think it was in reference to how people were dancing. I asked her what exactly is humping, and she said "it's what the man does to the woman to help get the sperm out. You didn't know?" I told her I didn't. She thought my lack of knowledge was funny at first, but then expressed worry. "How do you not know that is how pregnancy occurs?" I was pretty embarrassed, but wanted to learn more. I tried to convince my mom to give me "the talk," but she said she'd find me a book.

When I moved to Louisiana at the age of 14 and started high school, I was exposed to the pro-life movement. That is ironic though, because I am from Texas, a very red state. I saw girls wearing buttons, lanyards, pins, and occasionally t-shirts, advertising that they were pro-life (spelled "Preaux-Life," because it's Louisiana, we have to add the suffix -eaux to most words). I gathered that it was some sort of religious thing. During my sophomore year, I was asked by a couple of classmates who were Catholic and had "Preaux-Life" lanyards about my take on abortion, all because we happened to discuss religion. First off, most people were shocked to find out that I am Baptist during the whole "oh my god, you're new!" stage. Secondly, one girl who asked was in my civics class, so I responded with, "well, I don't really think it's okay unless the girl got raped." She got pretty turned off by my response, but I asked her, "would you force your 16 year old daughter who was raped against her own will to carry her baby from rape?" She said yes, and would encourage adoption. I told her that I would hate to be her kid, in that case. The other girl was in my art class, and she got offended as well by my same answer. I told both that my opinion is mine, and theirs is theirs, so get over it.

I was discussing health care with one of my now best friends during our junior year. It was during the Hobby Lobby and employee health care plan excluding birth control showdown. She told me that she refuses to buy from Hobby Lobby because of it. Back then, I kind of didn't understand. Now, I do understand. Access to contraceptives is crucial to women's health. Not only are birth control pills used to prevent pregnancy, but they're also used to help with health issues like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Endometriosis. PCOS effects around five to ten percent of women in the U.S., but is more common for black women (8%) and Latinas (13%) versus white women (4.8%), according to Cardone & Associates. Endometriosis effects between 10 to 20% of U.S. women, according to the Illinois State Department of Health. Common treatment for these issues is birth control pills. I've also grown to understand that not everybody can afford these crucial items out of pocket. Places like Planned Parenthood help with that. Not everyone has insurance or a doctor, that is why these clinics were created.

I've heard people say that low income folks should "just go to a different free clinic instead of Planned Parenthood because they offer abortions." Not everyone can "just go to another free clinic." Yes, other free clinics do exist, but some areas only have Planned Parenthood to rely on. According to Vox, some people live in "contraceptive deserts," or areas where access to free/low cost/publicly funded birth control clinics is limited. In 105 counties, Planned Parenthood is the only birth control clinic available. Many of the free or low cost clinics available focus on general/primary care, while Planned Parenthood specializes in reproductive care. Women seeking reproductive services are more likely to go to Planned Parenthood. According to Guttmacher Institute, PP serves at least half of the population in its area. PP is crucial, and not just "another free clinic" or "a place to abort out of convenience." To all the pro-lifers (and Preaux-Lifers) out there, if you want women to top getting abortions, having Planned Parenthood will help with that. The Houston Chronicle states that defunding PP in Texas has already led to a 3.4% increase in teen pregnancy, along with closure of 80 clinics. Your move, pro-lifers.

Protesting for our rights isn't to gain what we already have, it is to maintain what we have. Not every country has the reproductive rights that we have, so we need to set an example and maintain. Don't defund Planned Parenthood, don't ban D&E (looking at you, Texas, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Mississippi...), don't overturn Roe v. Wade, stop criminalizing women for getting abortions, and don't frown upon those who need/want to use contraceptives. My views have grown yet again. I am very pro-choice. I think people should choose what they want to do with their reproductive lives and bodies, whether that's aborting, adopting, or raising children. Other people's decisions of this subject don't effect me, but I will support whatever choice is made.