Why The Daily Beast Should Fire Nico Hines

Because a half-assed apology is not enough

29

I was initially hesitant to write another article about this incident, especially so soon. And then I realized, to hell with that. I’ve spent too much of my life being afraid to talk about this. I’m not letting another person bully my community into silence. So let’s talk about.

Let’s talk about how this “reporter” has gone MIA on Twitter since his gay-baiting, homophobic article was published. He hasn’t even issued an apology of any sort, instead hiding behind the transparent apology of a Republican editorial staff.

This is why I’m calling on The Daily Beast to #FireNicoHines. Because apparently hashtags are the only way we can get people’s attention nowadays.

If this publication (it’s a stretch for me to call it that) is actually sorry about the disgusting actions of a member of their staff, they need to prove it. Take a stand. Do something good for us to remember you by, instead of letting this stain be your reputation.

#FireNicoHines because it’s men like him who made me want to kill myself in middle school. It’s men like him who make me feel like some sort of spectacle when I hold my boyfriend’s hand in public.

#FireNicoHines because he is an example of why people don’t understand the problem with calling me their “gay best friend.” He is an example of people who think it’s acceptable to “love the sinner, hate the sin.” He is an example of the same thinking as Donald Trump saying he “loves the gay community” but thinks marriage is only between a man and a woman.

#FireNicoHines because men like him are the reason we have “safe spaces.” Men like him are the reason we use apps like Grindr and designated gay bars to find each other. Men like him are the reason “the closet” exists.

Now, is this in part a product of my pent-up anger at heteronormative society and how it has inhibited the development of LGBTQ people? Yes. Is Nico Hines in some ways taking the brunt of an issue that is not his fault alone? Yes. Does that mean we should take it easy on him or give him a pass on this? Nope. No way in hell.

If we can’t even fire a man who abuses his power of journalism to out gay athletes, how can we hope to hold entire publications accountable for their actions?