Why The Cliché Quote 'If You Love Someone, Let Them Go,' Couldn't Be More True

In the long run, what is meant to be will be.

3935
Tumblr

All of the greatest love stories usually contain some element of “one significant other leaves the other and dramatically loves them from afar.” Think about it. "Gone With The Wind," "The Notebook," you know they all do it.

It sounds stupid, really. If you love someone, why wouldn’t you keep them in your life, right?

"A soulmate is not who makes you happiest, but who makes you feel the most."

Now, I’m no expert, but is anyone? Love is the most abstract thing in the world and you cannot really diagnose it like some people like to believe. But what I do know? When you love someone, all of the negative emotions seem to say just as much as the positive ones. Jealousy, worry, fear. You fear that you may lose them, you worry they’re not happy, you’re jealous they may have caught someone else’s eye.

“To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence."

So when you love someone, let them go. Let them live their life. Let them be independent and meet new people and fulfill their life without you for a while. You can’t live without someone? Then you shouldn’t be with them in the first place. If you truly loved each other, you could be apart for years and come back together and still feel for each other like it has only been a day.

“Maybe the moon is only beautiful because it is far."

Love is about sacrificing your own happiness, just so they can find theirs. It means being lonely so they can feel complete. Never let someone you love stop you from living their life, and never try to stop someone you love from living theirs. Accept them for who they are. Don’t try to change them, because after all, if you change them they won’t be who you fell in love with.

In the long run, what is meant to be will be. And if that means loving someone from a distance for a while, that is okay.