Why The 2022 World Cup Should Not Be Held In Qatar

Qatar's human rights violations should not be rewarded with a world cup.

1305
Juane DC

Qatar was chosen as the host of the 2022 World Cup in 2010. The decision was another in a series of attempts by FIFA to expand the reach of football across the globe, allowing countries that were not historic powerhouses in the sport to host, such as South Korea and South Africa. However, in the case of Qatar the selection has been fraught with controversy from the moment it was decided. Concerns have been raised since regarding the treatment of homosexuals in the country, the hot climate, and deaths during the construction of the stadiums for the tournament.

The treatment of homosexuals in the Middle East has been controversial for a long time. Qatar is just one of many countries in the region that has made homosexuality illegal. This has raised concern over the treatment of openly gay fans or players in the country. Robbie Rogers, the only openly gay soccer player currently playing in the MLS, called the decision to host the World Cup in Qatar “absolutely insane”. Further concern was raised when Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) homosexuality test was proposed. The GCC homosexuality test would have tested anybody going to or through a number of Gulf states for homosexuality, despite this not actually being scientifically possible. The proposal was never implemented but it increased tensions in what will be a very hostile environment for any homosexual fans or players attending or participating in the event.

One concern that is inherent too the region is that of the climate in Qatar. The World Cup is traditionally held in the summer, in which the temperatures reach up to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. These conditions could be potentially hazardous to players and fans alike. During the bid for the World Cup the delegation from Qatar promised a number of technological innovations they would utilize to lessen the impact of the heat, such as air-conditioned stadiums. However, many of these promises turned out to be unattainable. Due to this the tournament may have to be played in winter, which will interfere with the regular seasons of a number of club soccer teams in the world as well as with the 2022 Winter Olympics. The tournament will also be shortened, increasing fears about the health of the players.

Perhaps the biggest reason to strip Qatar of it’s right to host the 2022 World Cup is it’s consistent human rights violations during the construction of the stadiums for the tournament. Poor migrants from Southeast and South Asia have been the ones predominantly working on the stadiums, often for extremely low wages and in extremely dangerous conditions. Many have declared the plight of the workers as modern-day slave labor. The sponsorship system in particular has come under fire from many across the world. The sponsorship system requires foreign workers to have a “sponsor” in the country. This sponsor has the right to prevent a worker from leaving the country and can also ban a worker from returning if they leave the country. Through this system workers can be forced to continue to work in inhumane conditions indefinitely. Amnesty International estimates that over 4,000 workers will have died by the completion of the stadiums in 2022. If the 2022 World Cup remains in Qatar there will be blood on the hands of those in FIFA who gave the tournament to Qatar and refuse to strip them of it.