Why I Ride

Why I Ride

Many people dismiss motorcycles due to concerns about the danger involved. I think that danger is outweighed by the joy it produces.

7
Why I Ride
Sergio Fernández Giraldo

I read a quote the other day that said, “Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.” I'm not going to deny that it's a cheesy quote, but I think there is a lot of truth to it.

(Bryson City, NC)

Motorcycles have been a major part of my family since my mom’s brother saved up and got one when he was in college. One motorcycle evolved into two, and then three, and then all of a sudden there were six or seven motorcycles parked at their house. Both of my parents drove motorcycles around Bogotá when they were in college, one of which is a black and red, 1972 Honda XL100 that my family still owns and uses. Luckily my uncles and my parents were not hesitant to pass on their love of motorcycles.

Being one of the youngest out of my cousins and siblings, I watched them ride 50 cc and 80 cc dirt bikes for a long time. Eventually, I got to drive the 70 cc three-wheeler, but after just a short time I wanted more. At about 8 or 9 years old I finally got to ride the 80 cc Honda XR that everybody had used to learn, and from that point on there was no turning back. Unfortunately, for me all of these dirt bikes were in Colombia, so I only got to ride a few weeks a year, but you better believe I took advantage of those few weeks! The feeling of hopping on the dirt bike and just cruising around -- sun in the sky, the wind roaring by -- was (and is) unmatched. As my cousins and I got older the dirt bikes got more powerful, the rides became more intense, and the fun increased exponentially.

(Villeta, Colombia)

Then, at the end of my first year in college, I realized I had enough money to buy my own motorcycle. Once I realized that there was roughly a 0 percent chance that I was not going to get one. As a broke college student it would make sense to save those couple thousand bucks rather than spending it on a motorcycle, right? Right. It wouldn’t be practical to have a motorcycle and no car, especially when your college is a nine-hour drive from home. But, lucky for me, owning a motorcycle is as impractical as it is satisfying!

(Chilhowee, Tennessee)

I definitely understand the fear that people have when it comes to motorcycles. They’re dangerous. You’re completely exposed. Other than a helmet and (maybe) protective clothing, you really don’t have much that would keep you safe in an emergency. Yet, there is an enthralling sense of freedom when you drop the clutch, rev the throttle, and take off. It’s as if man and machine coalesce into one fast, electrifying, forward surge. When you lean into a turn the motorcycle leans with you, the asphalt zooming by your toes as you shift gears, your mind focused on that particular moment in time. Whichever way you chose to move, the motorcycle moves with you. Adrenaline rushes through the body and the euphoria experienced from speed is reinforced in the brain. It’s a truly exhilarating and liberating feeling that words cannot really do justice.

When I go ride it’s a chance for to forget about everything else and to experience pure happiness and pleasure in the moment. I understand the risk involved. I understand how impractical a motorcycle is. I understand how pointless it may seem to others, but I also think it’s more important not to let fear prevent happiness. And I think that's something that can be applied to all facets of life.