Why Peru State College Is The Best

Why Peru State College Is The Best

There Ain't No Party Like a Bobcat Party

86
Why Peru State College Is The Best
Peru State College Facebook

Like all high school seniors, the daunting task of picking out a college and career path hit me like a train. I visited colleges all over the midwest (ten, as a matter of fact), and I didn't think I was ever going to find a place that wasn't going to bury me in loans and kill me with home-sickness. Go figure that the last college visit of them all was going to be the end all be all. The little gem nestled between cornfields and endless baby blue skies in small town southeast Nebraska stole my city girl heart at first sight. Out of the thousands of campuses across the states, here's why Peru State College is the greatest one of all.

1. History Buff Central

Peru State College is the oldest college in Nebraska, dating back to 1867. It's safe to say that the college has many hidden stories and memories scattered throughout the campus, and touched the hearts of thousands and thousands of people. Some buildings have the original brick siding dating back to the early 1900s. Until the Oak Bowl was renovated within the past few years, the football team played on the exact same grass since 1901. There's so much more! The saying "You have to know where you've been in order to know where you're going" is so true on the campus of a thousand oaks.

2. Best Professors/Staff

Maybe I'm a little bit biased, but I truly believe that Peru State's professors are top notch. Unlike some colleges, you aren't a number in the classroom at Peru State College. Professors here seek out to you to find out what is wrong if you happen to miss class that day. They take minimal time to reply to emails and questions. Professors are constantly getting to know their students as human beings with hobbies, passions and lives. I have had professors send me emails and give me handwritten notes when I succeed on and off the golf course.

3. Small Town Nebraska

I'm from a city with close to 270,000 people, and it was quite an adjustment at first moving to Peru, Nebraska, a population of probably less than 200 people. There is a running joke in Peru that when there is a tornado warning, there is no siren so we just shout it to our neighbors from porch to porch. Living in a town that is small makes sticking to my college budget easier. We don't have much, but we do have a gas station, grocery store, several churches, and a bar. Peru State students are gifted with creativity and enjoying the simple things. All we need is a little bit of inspiration and even better company.

4. Four-Day School Weeks

If I still haven't convinced you that Peru State College is a top notch institution, this is sure to do the trick. Unlike a lot of schools, Peru State College does not have classes on Fridays. There are several theories I have as to why this is the case. First, Peru State originated as a teaching college until the 1960s, and Fridays could have been reserved for practicums instead of classes. Also, a lot of Peru State students commute to class each day, and so there may be no classes on Fridays as a courtesy to those students. Either way, it is a gift that all students are so grateful for.

5. Resume Booster

As I'm getting ready to head into my senior year at Peru State College, I would have never imagined be the active student that I am. During the course of my time on campus, I have been a student ambassador, collegiate golfer, student senator, resident assistant, Teammates' mentor, the sports journalist for the student newspaper, and a member of Student Athlete Advisory Council. I have also been able to work twenty-five hours a week at a local coffee-shop. The perks of going to a small school mean that you can try out many different things without having to worry about combusting into a fireball of stress and tears.

6. President and First Lady

There's not a college out there that doesn't have a president and a first lady at the top of it (unless a woman is a president because who run the world? Girls!). I have had the privilege of working with these individuals and I can honestly say that they are the dynamic duo at Peru State State College and represent what this school is all about. They can be seen at every sporting event, fine arts performance, and every other event that involves the students. They understand that without us, the students, their job is nonexistent in society. Peru is all about meeting its students' needs and listening to them, and they take this to heart. Without them and their amazing hearts and dedication, Peru State would not be the same.

7. One Big Family

When looking for a college, I wanted a school to call my home away from home. Peru State College became my home because of the wonderful people that I have met here. You will see familiar faces a million times a day on campus. In high school, I was never really able to find my niche. However, when I came to Peru State, I found my life-long friends. There's always someone to lend a hand when you need one no matter what the case may be. Even though Peru State is a small school in a small town, I promise it can change your life in ways you never imagined if you give it a chance. There really is not party like a Bobcat party cuz' a Bobcat party don't stop! Ey!