Why A New Year Doesn't Have to Mean a New You

What we should really focus on as a new year approaches.

70
Alamo Fireworks

New Years is fast approaching, and it's about that time where you hear the age old adage, "New Year, new me." Everyone thinks that a new year is the perfect time to change themselves and make resolutions about how to improve who they are. Sadly, most of these resolutions remain unfulfilled, and people become distraught over their inability to change the fundamental parts of who they are.

I personally think that trying to create a "New You" is a tired practice, and a goal that people should no longer strive for. The notion of changing who you are because of a calendar date is ridiculous.

Every day, people around the world find fault with who they are, and strive to change every little thing about who they are. They are constantly making themselves feel badly, when a new year should represent so much more. It should represent mankind reaching another huge milestone, another year of life. No matter the problems we've faced, its an opportunity to right past wrongs, mend friendships and move forward with our lives. A chance to look within ourselves, and grow even more as people, living every day to the fullest.

I believe that if you are going to make a list of resolutions, the following are some that promote a positive change rather than focusing on things you perceive as negatives.

1. Laugh loudly, without any fear.

Never stifle your joy, because you never know who's listening. Whenever I hear laughter, I am automatically in a much better mood. Fill the world with happiness, for everything seems better when you're laughing.

2. Don't be afraid to show love

Every day is a gift, and tomorrow is never a sure thing. Don't let a single day go by where you've neglected to tell the people you love how you feel. Tell everyone: friends and family alike. Kind words can change the world, and I'd rather express my affections than live with the regret of being silent.

3. Help a stranger

Do one small act of kindness whenever you can. Not only will you be helping someone who needs it, but you'll feel better about yourself in the process. Everything you do will come back to you in kind, so even if its merely paying the toll fee for the car behind you, try a selfless act for someone you've never met.

4. Love yourself fiercely

If there's just one resolution I want to see people choose to take on, its this one. The biggest problem so many of us face, myself included, is that we only see the bad things about us. So please, look for all the positives. Who cares if you're not the weight you think you should be? Consider the weight of the impact you have on countless people's lives and how happy they are to know you. Instead of panicking over bad skin, look at the smile that can light up a room. Accept that you can't change everything about yourself, but you can change how you view yourself. You are a creature of wonderful design, with so much potential.

So my resolution this year is not to make a new me, but to love with all my heart the wonderfully flawed, awkward, quirky, bundle of joy that I already am.