Why We Need To Compliment More And Shame Less

You never know what a person is going through. Next time, instead of saying something negative, just smile.

16
Girlterest

There are people that go every day not feeling confident in themselves. They are insecure in their outfit choice for the day, unsure if they look good in what they picked out or not, or just uncomfortable in their own skin. These people already have enough bad things about them going through their own heads, so when they hear comments like "I can't believe you decided to wear that!" or, "That was a brave thing to wear for someone your size", they instantly feel ten times worse than they did before. I know you all know what I'm talking about, and I'm sure you've either said or thought something similar about a person you've seen before.

I'm not saying that just fat shaming is wrong, I used it as an example because it is so common. All body shaming is wrong and it is time for it to stop. People are shamed for being too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, not being athletic, having braces, you name it and I'm sure someone has been shamed about it.

Why do we do it? Why do we make fun of other people for the way their body is? It's not nice, and there is no benefit to you walking up to someone and making them feel bad about their glasses, or braces, or weight. There is no good that comes out of it. So why are people still doing it?

Maybe it's because we don't know how to be nice to others, maybe it's because someone made fun of you so you want to make fun of someone else to feel better. Maybe it's simply because we are country full or bullies, who knows. What I do know, is that it is causing people so much harm.

I am tired of watching perfectly normal and healthy people starve themselves so they can be thin. I am tired of watching people be discouraged from wearing what they want because they are afraid of the harsh words from other people. I am tired of hating my glasses because of all the times I personally have been made fun of for them.

Instead of telling someone they need to lose weight, tell them how beautiful they are. Instead of criticizing a person because you don't agree with what they are wearing, keep your opinions to yourself and give them a nod or a smile. It's not worth it to make them feel insecure. Instead of making fun of a person that can't reach something, help them out. Get it for them and smile when you do so, I guarantee they will be grateful and will smile back.

Next time, before you open your mouth to shame or criticize someone, I want you to think about it instead. Think of how you would feel if someone would say that to you, and then don't say it at all.

All I am asking of you guys is to be nice, kind, and caring towards others. Especially those that seems like they need it. There is no reason at all to shame someone for their appearance, but there is all the reason in the world to make someone smile or feel better.