​Why My Grandparents Make Me Believe In True Love

Who says that love is dead?
133

There’s an ongoing thing on social media that I see quite often. People my age are always saying that we won’t commit to each other in a relationship and most people my age are quick to “play the field." While I agree with this, I don’t agree with the claims that love is dead. How can it be when there are so many people that are happily involved in a relationship? For instance, my grandparents.

My grandparents were high school sweethearts. They got married in 1961 and it amazes me how after all of these years, they still hold so much love for each other. My grandfather always tells me how my grandma used to have long hair she would wear over one eye and how she was and still is beautiful. The look he has in his eyes when he talks about my grandma is enough to tell even a stranger how in love he is with that woman.

Love is defined as an intense feeling of deep affection. Loving someone allows us to look past the flaws of our significant other. No one is perfect and my grandparents are well aware of this. They both have flaws and even though it may annoy them, they choose to still be with each other because they see more good than bad. It’s as if someone gives you rose colored glasses when you’re as in love as they are.

Their love has also allowed them to overcome many tragedies. My grandfather has been in and out of the hospital and has gone through multiple surgeries. Both of them lost their son to a year-long battle with cancer. They by no means handled these tragedies with ease, but as much as it would break someone, they are still standing. They lean on each other when they need to and it’s that factor that makes me see just how much their marriage means.

Love is a very complicated thing, but it’s far from being dead. I see it live on in my grandparents every single day and it grows stronger as time goes by. Just because it’s hard to find does not mean it is nonexistent. It just means that you haven’t found love worth fighting for yet. It is watching my grandparents experience it that makes me believe in true love. Maybe one day I’ll be that lucky.