Why My Family Is The Source Of My Success

I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

1374
Suzanne Dukehart

Over the past few months of being in college, I have realized what a pivotal roll my family has played in my life. I have come to understand how blessed I am to live in the family that I live in and to have such a close support group at any given time. Then I began to think about how different my life would be if I didn't grow up in such a loving and supporting family. My family has played such a big part in the successful person that I am today and I am so grateful.

1. They Taught Me To Put God Above Everything

This is the most important thing I have ever been taught. From a young age, I was taught the importance of faith and how without God, nothing is possible. My parents have both helped me to understand that God has a plan for me and it is a truly wonderful one. They have also taught me to live out my faith in my everyday life and to love passionately. My entire family is made up of strong Christians and have influenced my love of service and missions work. The best part is, no one ever forced me into a relationship with God, it truly did come naturally. They gave me the freedom to explore different denominations and churches, even though that was difficult for them. My family is constantly encouraging me to trust in the Lord. I can't tell you how many times my dad or my aunt have told me they are praying for me. It is so comforting and such a life changing lesson.

2. They Are Always Supportive And Encouraging

This past week I have felt SO much love from my family. They are constantly sending me letters and packages while I'm at college just because, and when I receive these surprises it makes my day. My parents will text me and ask how my day is going. My grandparents and extended family even make sure to check how I'm doing on tests and tell me they are praying for me to do well. There is such an abundance of love and for that I am forever grateful. No matter what choices or mistakes I make, they are always there for me and encourage me every step of the way.

3. They Taught Me How To Work

As a kid, doing chores was seriously the worst. I hated doing laundry, dishes, or pulling weeds in the yard (I think I will always hate pulling weeds). Now that I am living on my own, I am so grateful that my parents didn't do everything for me! Every time I go to the laundry room in my building, someone asks me how to do their laundry. If my mom wouldn't have made me learn, I would be shrinking sweaters and dying my clothes pink and I would have to ask strangers for help! So although doing work around the house was not fun when I was younger, it actually has helped me in the long run!

4. They Gave Me Just The Right Amount Of Independence

My parents weren't strict, but they also didn't let me run amuck. My parents really trusted me throughout my teenage years and I really think this is what made me make good decisions. I knew that if I broke their trust, I would get all of my privileges taken away, but most importantly, I would disappoint them. Being given independence allowed me to make my own choices and mistakes and to grow from them. I was able to learn from each experience. It is also incredibly rewarding and confidence boosting to know that your parents trust you to make good decisions.

5. They Have Done So Much For Me

No one in my family is rich by any means, but everyone has done their very best to provide for me and to give me as many opportunities as possible. At a very young age my parents realized I had a gift for singing. They payed for me to recieve private voice lessons which truly transformed my skills and love for music. My entire family chipped in for me to be able to attend an expensive camp for writing the summer before my eighth grade year. They have always participated in every fundraiser I've had whether it be for mission trips or school functions. My family is somehow able to go on a vacation every year and last year we were able to go to Nashville,TN which has been my dream since I was very young. I am so blessed to have a family that loves me so much and want the very best for me.

I will never be able to express my gratitude for my family. I would not be the person I am today without them and their positive life examples. Thank you for showing me how to be the best person I can be and giving me the love and support I need to achieve my goals.