Why My Dad is My Dad

Why My Dad is My Dad

He is more than what people call him.

9160
Why My Dad is My Dad

Now growing up, I never really understood how lucky I was until I went to college. When I was younger, I had some sort of resentment towards my dad, because by blood he wasn't my "father." I would toss around attitude because that's just what society drilled in my head. This man wasn't meant to be my dad.

As I got older, I began loving my dad more because I started to see how incredible of a man he is. My dad always talked to me about God, but in high school that wasn't really my thing. I was more concerned with tennis, my friends, and boys. My dad kept pressing into me. Talking about Jesus with me at the most random times. One thing was certain, I was grateful because at this point my family was going through difficult times and he exemplified what a man is.

Transferring to Texas State was the highlight of me and my dad's relationship. I heard all these stories about my peers' dads. When they would ask me about my dad, they would say "Oh you mean he's your step dad, what about your real dad." This really hit a nerve with me. I usually would just tell them that he is MY dad.

Why did it start hitting a nerve, now in my early 20s? Well because I grew up. I would think of my life being my mom's age when she had me. I couldn't even handle having a kid. My dad met my mom when I was about 9 months, and I don't think having a kid was the plan. I don't think I could ever just put my life on hold for love, but my dad did. He eventually made the best of it. With an angry teenager, he still managed to bring Jesus into my life.

Another thing happened at Texas State, I found Jesus. The man my dad kept telling me about, finally made His way into my heart. I honestly don't think I could've found my Heavenly Father without the help of the father God has placed in my life. There is a reason for everything. My dad is my spiritual leader. Without him, I don't think I would be so secure with my faith. I can tell my dad to pray for me because I'm emotionally tired and he doesn't try to pry into my life. He would just tell me he would pray. And in that moment I feel better.

This article this week isn't about how many shares I can get, it's about my DAD. My one and only dad that, without a doubt, is always there for me.

Thanks Daddy for loving Christ and loving me.