Why I Wish I Lived In A Mary-Kate and Ashley Movie

Some things just don't seem fair for those of us who don't have identical twins and weren't raised as child stars.

110

The early 2000s was a beautiful time- a time for bands like Destiny's Child and shows like "The O.C." and "Lizzie McGuire." But what would the early 2000s be without the teenage-year movies of the fabulous Olsen twins? As a child of the Mary-Kate and Ashley revolution (the Mary-Kate and Ash-lution if you will), I was always jealous of the wonder twins for their fabulous lives and rise to stardom that was based on… well… nothing. Here's why.

Exotic Destinations

From the Bahamas to London to Rome, Mary-Kate and Ashley hit the jackpot in movies that double as vacations. Why wouldn't any young girl want to be a member of this traveling duo? They had to have hit every continent by the time they were 20. That just doesn't seem fair for those of us who don't have identical twins and weren't raised as child stars.

Having a Twin

If you claim Mary-Kate and Ashley never made you want a twin to take part in your youthful plots and hijinks, you are a liar. Sorry 'bout it. But I know they certainly made me wish for a clone who would take my place in class and wear color coordinated mini-skirts with me (the ones from the boat party in "Our Lips are Sealed," you know the skirts I'm talking about.)

Clothes

Can you say tube tops? Tinted sunglasses? What about gaucho pants? And nothing says high fashion quite like a shopping montage. What is a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie without the classic shopping montage? Don't I wish that I could rock a good turtleneck, patterned pants, trench coat combo (as featured in "Winning London").

Drama of a Fabulous Nemesis

In case you forgot- Megan Fox was in fact once the nemesis of my personal favorite Mary-Kate and Ashley film, "Holiday in the Sun." From the blue eyeshadow to the frosted, pink lip-gloss, Megan Fox had the whole mean girl thing down. Maybe it's weird, but if I had such an obvious mean-girl nemesis, I think it would definitely spice up my life a little.

Not Having To Go To School

Now I'm not exactly sure how they managed this, but school was never really a factor in Mary-Kate and Ashley movies. Friends from school? Yes. Knowledge from driver's ed? Yes. But classes? Not so much.

Rich Parents

Let's face it. Exotic destinations, the highest of highbrow 2000s get-up, and in "Holiday in the Sun," there is definitely a private jet. Inside and outside of their fictitious worlds, Mary-Kate and Ashely are sittin' pretty. Not to say that money is the most important thing or that it can buy love… but it does buy them tickets to the winter Olympics in "Getting There."

Boys

Of course, I would be neglecting a pivotal factor of the Mary-Kate and Ashley universe if I failed to mention the love interests present in every dang movie. Allow me to outline the plot of "Holiday in the Sun-"They go to the Bahamas. They solve a mystery. They both find love. "Our Lips are Sealed?" They go to Australia. They surf. They both find love (this time with fellow twins. Creepy or sweet? I'm leaning towards creepy.) "When in Rome?" They go to (you guessed it) to Rome. They intern for an impressive fashion group. They both find love. Sensing a pattern? I think there's some special twin powers going on there. But props to them for managing to get more boyfriends from 2000-2002 than most of us have our whole lives.

From Your Site Articles