Why I March(ed)

Why I March(ed)

For all of those who don't understand the Women's March

16
Why I March(ed)
NBC News

For all of you out there who claimed the Women’s March that occurred January 21, 2017 “doesn’t matter” or “won’t make a difference,” this one’s for you. This is also for those who do not understand the reasoning behind why countless women (and men) gathered in the streets to march in peaceful protest.

Yesterday, I marched in the streets of St. Petersburg, under the Florida heat, along with my sister and one of my best friends. I found myself welcomed into a crowd of up to 20,000 protesters. I screamed sentiments such as “Love, not hate, makes America great!,” “What do we want? Equal Pay! When do we want it? Now!” and “Who do we hate? Nobody! Who do we love? ALL!” It was liberating, inspiring, and powerful.

At one point, we stopped and stood to the side simply to watch in awe of the mass of fervent supporters. My friend was brought to tears from the beauty of it. Suddenly, three women in a row, people she did not know, came up to her and hugged her, a silent sign of support and love for a stranger. I was overwhelmed by the love, support, and strength I witnessed. Women of all ages, sexual orientations, abilities, colors, and sizes stood together in solidarity.

People all across the United States gathered to march, donning homemade signs and knitted pink hats. According to PoliticusUSA, the Women’s March is estimated to be the largest single-day protest in U.S. history. To assert that this “didn’t matter” or “won’t make a difference” is downright ignorant and uninformed. That is equivalent to saying that marches for the Civil Rights Movement, which drew far less supporters, “didn’t matter” either.

For those who argue that women who marched are seeking supremacy rather than equality, that women in the U.S. are not oppressed and have no reason for marching, this is where I present the multiple reasons you are mistaken.

These are some the reasons that I, personally, chose to march:

Because sexual violence against women still exists and is very prevalent. I, myself, am a survivor of rape and I marched for all other survivors, especially the ones who have not been able to speak out about the trauma. I marched because many times rapists such as Brock Turner do not get prosecuted under our judicial system. Instead, they are coddled and let off easy because punishment for their heinous crime (Oh excuse me, "20 minutes of action") would “ruin their future”.

Because women still do not get paid the same rates as men for the same jobs and qualifications.

Because I do not support a leader who thinks obscene language such as “grab her by the pussy” is ever appropriate, acceptable, or legal for that matter. (EVEN IF IT WAS SPOKEN IN A LOCKER ROOM). This language you call “locker room talk”, is the language that perpetuates rape culture.

Because I believe we should build bridges, not walls. I believe we should spread ideas of love and attitudes of acceptance.

Because this country should welcome immigrants rather than discriminate against them.

Because people of the LGBTQ+ community deserve the same respect, care, and unalienable rights as all other citizens.

Because feminine hygiene products such as tampons and pads are not exempt from sales tax, when they are in fact a necessity. (Almost) all women ages anywhere from 9 to almost 60 years old experience bleeding and all symptoms that accompany that every single month, and the products used to manage this are taxed.

Additionally when one woman, Kiran Ghandi, ran the London Marathon without a tampon in while on her period, she was crucified by the internet. She chose not to wear a tampon (that could cause discomfort after running 26 miles) to raise awareness “for sisters who don’t have access to tampons and sisters who, despite cramping and pain, hide it away and pretend like it doesn’t exist.” She was criticized for being “disgusting” and “radical.” If you do not want to see my “messy womanhood,” as Ashley Judd would say, then don’t tax these necessary products. “Basically we are being taxed for being women," as Cristina Garcia puts it. Menstruation is a natural, biological occurrence that women have no control over. Yet, they pay thousands of tax dollars throughout their lifetime on feminine products.

Because all women deserve the right to an education.

Because women’s rights are human rights.

Because I believe in and want gender equality.

These are only a few motivations that I personally clung to while marching. There are plenty more reasons why people gathered to march.

Now, I recognize that I speak from a privileged point of view. I am a white, heterosexual, cisgender woman who comes from a middle-class family. Therefore, I may not notice as much or feel as oppressed as other women, like women of color for example. Why not stand with my Black, Latina and Native American sisters so that we all may have equity?

Some might say that women in the United States are not oppressed, that they have much more freedom than other women around the world. I agree that yes, we do have many freedoms that some women around the word do not. We have the right to vote (because women in the past marched on Washington). We are allowed to work and practice our religion of choice, to provide a few examples. Once again, I definitely recognize the privileged point of view I have. However, this does not mean that women in this country do not suffer the plight of the patriarchy.

Why is it that men can go on a run without a shirt on and no one blinks an eye? But a woman’s nipples are considered sexual organs when they are the same anatomical structure as a man’s nipples?

Why is it that many times women who choose to breastfeed their children in public are stigmatized, asked to leave, or even arrested for “public indecency”?

Why is it that rather than teaching preventive measures for sexual assault, our society teaches ways in which to react after the fact? Why are women taught to defend themselves, not wear skirts above the knees because they could be a distraction, and not to go out alone at night, rather than, do not take advantage of someone, or respect people’s boundaries, and it is your responsibility to get informed, sober consent? Why is the narrative don’t get raped, rather than don’t rape?

To address those criticizing the protesters for becoming violent or destroying public property: let me just point out that the history of this great country began with violent protests rising up against an oppressive government. Our history began with our citizens trespassing onto British owned ships during the night and dumping tea (not their property) into the Boston harbor. While I do not condone violence or illegal actions, I will say that societal change has only ever been made by “radical” acts of brave people. Sometimes in order to affect change, people have to do things boisterously in order for others to pay attention. (I am glad to announce that no one in St. Pete, in the march I partook in, became violent or was arrested.)

This march was an incredible historical event. This demonstrated that many, millions, believe that gender equality still does not exist and that discrimination is still very much in effect. Also, I would like to point out that this Women’s March, which started out as a protest in just Washington D.C. spread across the nation and even the globe. Women around the entire world, on all seven continents, joined to participate in this unifying and amazing movement! This was not just for oppression of women in the United States, but oppression of women internationally.

This is why I marched. I stand with all others who did, and the ones who wanted to but were for whatever reason unable. We will never be silenced, ladies. We will continue to make a difference and we will continue to make progress. I was beaming with pride for my country yesterday for standing up, as we have since the beginning. I love the United States, but I do believe there is much improvement to be made.