Why It's So Important To Learn To Say "NO"

One of the Best Words to Learn

172
dreamstime.com

Sitting at my desk one day, I realized I was physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted and the reason why is because I have this habit of always saying "Yes" to any and every request or opportunity that comes my way. I know I'm not alone in this because I know a lot of people who struggle with saying "no" for fear of offending someone, damaging their reputation or missing out on an opportunity. But, in reality, saying "yes" all the time can lead to hurting you as a person. Here are some reasons why learning to say "No" is so important:

If you constantly say "Yes," you become a human doormat.

Constantly agreeing to help others or do things for others causes people to walk all over you, hence, you becoming like a "human doormat." And, time is one of those things you can never get back. With this being said, your time is very valuable. Don't cheat yourself out of it. Your time is just as valuable as anyone else's, so don't be so quick always to give it away.

If you constantly say "Yes," you lose out on real opportunities.

My mom always encouraged me to spread my wings, broaden my horizons, and try new things. But I took this to the extreme where I was always saying yes to every opportunity that came my way. This decision resulted in me being stretched too thin and not giving my all to anything. I was just doing mediocre work for all my responsibilities. When I learned to say "No," I found which opportunities deserved a "Yes," and I realized I was devoting more time and effort to (and gaining more back from) these new activities and commitments.

If you constantly say "Yes," you may miss out on the real important things in life.

I noticed that I said "Yes" a lot to friends, acquaintances, and even strangers. The sad thing was when my family needed my help, I was usually out running around helping everyone else. Family should be most important in your life, and when you spread yourself too thin helping others you may lose sight of that- I know I did.

If you constantly say "Yes," it takes a toll on your mind and body.

Constantly agreeing means many, many priorities, which leads to constantly running around, which leads to no rest or recouping, which leads to stress and anxiety which leads to irritability, frustration, and giving up which, in turn, leads to feelings of failure and self-disappointment. How do I know this? Because I did just this- for years! I would jam-pack my schedule because, "Well, what's another thing? I can handle it!" Which in fact, I could not. And neither can most people. Overloading your schedule means overloading your body, and this can hurt you both mentally and physically.

It's important to learn how to say "No." Know which people in your life deserve your time, and be honest with yourself in knowing which opportunities will actually better your life and not just add to your "To-Do" list.