Why it's okay to not tip the suggested 20%

87
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2178788/images/o-RESTAURANT-TIP-facebook.jpg

I know all the waiters and waitresses out there reading this are already gritting their teeth. Hear me out:

There has been so many times that I have went to a new restaurant with my family and sat down and started looking at the menu and the pricing. Realizing that, wow, this one seems so much more expensive than I had planned on. In order not to create a fuss and leave, I of course decide to go ahead with our meal.

The bill comes, and it's around $75.00 for 3 people. The suggested 20% tip is now $15.00. This makes your bill total $18.00. And, of course the waiter/waitress truly believes they deserve this tip. (Mind you, this tip will put them at making a little over $18.00 an hour, on average) However, you never got a drink refill, you never got the condiment you asked for, the food was cold because you watched it sit in the window while your waiter/waitress sat behind the counter on their cell phone. But trust me, they still want that tip.

So not only am I being expected to pay a higher tip just simply because the food at this particular restaurant costs more and that's what the bill happened to amount to. Even though the service was absolutely poor? I mean, I am all about giving a good tip for good service but isn't 20% pushing it a bit?

This waiter/waitress (usually) serves multiple tables per hour, and the suggested tip remains at 20%. So here's an example:

Said waiter/waitress has 3 tables in an hour, with bills averaging around $50.00. Suggested tip per bill is approximately $10.00. Therefore, in 1 hour this waiter/waitress is making $30.00 just in tips, not counting their hourly minimum wage. That's usually not going to be any less than making $33.00 AN HOUR!

I work a full time job, same with my husband. We work 40+ hours a week and decide to go out to eat once every couple of weeks. If we do not feel that we should tip the full recommended amount, then we don't.

See what many don't understand is a tip is JUST that, a TIP! It's not mandatory, it's not something that should be expected. It's something that, regardless of the amount, you should be thankful for. If it's not a good tip, don't take it so personally. You never know that person's story. You may have made a mistake in their order. You may not have been attentive enough AND THAT'S OKAY. Take it with a grain of salt and move on. Reflect and see if there's something you could have done better. And, before you assume, yes I have been a server myself. No I never made good money, and no I never expected 20% tips.

I understand your want as a server to make more money, and tip out at the end of the night with a good amount of pocket money. I GET IT. But please don't always just expect hard working people with bills that decide to treat themselves to a nice meal to tip you 20% every time. Accept your tip, move on. It's just that simple.

You don't have to agree with me, and you don't have to like it. That's okay with me. Just please, don't expect me, or anyone else, to hand you a tip you haven't earned.