Why I’m Happy I Grew Up In The Small City I Did

Westbrook isn't only where I grew up as a kid, but its a place I continue to call home.
18

Westbrook, Maine is where I’m proud to call my home town. We all have our places to call home and we also have the many reasons why we do so. Westbrook is considered “home” to many people. Anyone who doesn’t live in Westbrook probably only know us from the smelly paper mill… But I mean who would forget that smell anyway? I’ve been raised here my whole 20 long years of life, and at the moment, I wouldn’t change it for the world. There are many reasons why someone calls their town their home, here are my reasons:

Little League Fields: From the age I could remember, probably eleven years old, I spent most of my summer and non-summer days at the fields as did many of the kids in the area. I played for at least two softball teams a year and even competed in tournaments where people came all from all over the state to compete in! How cool is that? As well as in 2005, a team won the Little League World Series on National TV! Something many cities can’t say they have done. I met many people here, gained a lot of good friendships; it was a my go to place growing up.

Together Days: Every year we all look forward to this weekend, but I mean who wouldn’t? Fair food, rides and games - it couldn’t get any better than this. This weekend would always start off with a parade from all the way back by the ice rink on Lincoln Street and move down to the Riverbank Park. Everything from fried dough, cotton candy, turkey legs, and root beer floats - we have it all here. Growing up I would count down the days until this week, it was two days of straight sun, hanging with friends, and thoughts of getting closer to summer!

Westbrook High School: Four years here and many memories to follow. Those walls heard more drama, seen more friendships come to an end, and cherished the memories that were made inside of it. Anyone who attended WHS knew everyone and anything. Anytime anyone would ask from a different area how many kids we had in our school we would say 400 something and they would look at us in shock and say “that’s how many kids I have in my class.” We were a small school. Many memories were made here; friday night football games, pep rallies, and awesome teachers. I wouldn’t of wanted to spend these four years of my life anywhere else.

These things are the ones that mean the most to me and I’m pretty sure if you ask anyone else from here when they were growing up, at least one of these would come to mind. This place is one of a kind. We know our city isn’t perfect, and there are some things that could change, but as for now this is where I call home and will continue to do so. Westbrook, Maine you have my heart.