Why I Wouldn't Want to Be a Wide Receiver in the NFL Right Now

3

Market saturation: a point to which a market is no longer generating new demand for a firms product, due to competition, decrease need, obsolescence, or some other factor. (businessdictionary.com)

This is a list of people who are currently on the market for NFL free agency or are potentials for being traded to other organizations (keep in mind some of these are not yet unrestricted free agents, but could be on the market very soon):

Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, Andre Johnson, Brandon Gibson, Brian Hartline, Eddie Royal, Brandon Tate, Anquan Bouldin, Vincent Jackson, Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, Cecil Shorts, Hakeem Nicks, Miles Austin.

As you can see, this is a fairly big list of veterans. In looking at this list there are many ideas as to how this may be handled for the 2015 NFL season.

An Owner's/Manager's Perspective:

In purchasing players, organizations need to understand where their values are and whether they are in the short term or long term perspective. Short-term purchases would be assuming that the organization is already successful and is in pursuit of purchasing wins. Long term purchases would be aimed at acquiring an asset to build the franchise. Often times these players have good leadership qualities, are experienced, and set a good example for other players (in terms of of their respected field position).

Although going with a veteran free agent seems like the logical move, most organizations look for the short term buy in the free agency. It is uncommon to see teams getting a free agent for more than two years. This is due mostly to concerns of age, declining skill, or personality congruency with the organization. Teams that are trying to build a franchise will typically try and draft a potential superstar in hopes that they can develop him into an all-star.

From a Free Agent/Veteran's perspective:

When thinking from a veteran's perspective, they have to realize what organizations are looking for and what they want as a player (money, more catches, better team). However, teams may only want a player for a limited time. If these veterans are attempting to sell themselves to teams, they need to make sure it is a good fit. If not, there is a chance they may not be picked up by the team.

From an NFL Drafted/Undrafted player's perspective:

These young players are inspired to achieve their dreams out on the big field. However, like all young people entering in today's job market, it is very competitive. Their combine is their resume and skill set is their cover letter. Young drafted and undrafted players need to be prepared to set themselves before an organization and become a franchise player. Drafted/undrafted players need to be able to stack up on a somewhat similar veteran player and be able to make substantial improvements.

The Problem with 2015 for Wide Receivers:

The problem we are witnessing in the NFL right now for wide receivers is market saturation. Some people are very surprised and shocked to see this, but this isn't the first time this has happened. It has happened with many different positions.

The big problem is that there are so many free agents, and I can tell you half of that list believes they should at least make 10 Million dollars a year at bare minimum. The issue with that is that smart organizations won't pay that unless the players are really worth it or they are desperate. Organizations are not only trying to win right away but they have to think about their franchise in the long run. Not to mention negotiating with veterans can tend to rough process. It's kind of like telling your high school son to do their chores and then they demand for a raise for doing what he is supposed to do. Then the kid says he not doing his chores until he gets the raise.

Another problem from an organization's perspective in buying free agents is the consideration of their salary cap. Not every player gets to make 15 million a year and some of these organization that are pursuing these wide receivers are also looking for other players to sign. Looking past veteran players, drafted/undrafted players are put in a difficult position for this next year as well.

If organizations decide to spend the majority of this offseason getting free agents, then there will be limited opportunity for them getting drafted. Even if they do get drafted to a team, who perhaps maybe only drafts one of these veterans, they may be faced to compete for a starting position which they might of not had to compete for before the organization went out and got a veterans wide receiver.

I know job markets are rough for most positions today, but football is a make it or break it sport. Your opportunities are limited and the market is full of individuals who will compete to eliminate you. In this current time, I would say it's safe to say I wouldn't want to be a wide-receiver in the NFL.