should I play golf

7 Reasons Why Golf Is The Best Sport To Play In High School

As a former MVP golf player and captain, I will tell you why golf is the best high school sport to play

205

Golf is a very timeless and classic sport that has greatly influenced my life. Playing golf in high school was one of the best decisions that I made, and I had a blast for all four years. Here are the reasons why you should be playing golf in high school.

1. The social scene

Being on the golf team is a great way to make friends. By having to walk around 9-18 holes with the same girls on your own team during practice, or girls from other schools during matches, you have about 3-5 hours to bond with the people you are forced tube hanging out with. It's a great way to get to know people that you might not otherwise know, and makes the time commitment more bearable.

2. More exercise than you would think... 

If you choose to walk the golf course carrying your clubs, it actually can help build up your shoulder and back strength. Golf clubs weigh on average 25-30 lbs, and the average distance walked on an 18 hole golf course is a whopping 5-5.5 miles!

3. ...But still on the leisure side

I enjoyed golf so much because I got a mild amount of exercise without having to get all sweaty and be sprinting all the time. Walking and talking is much more my speed than cross country.

4. Golf is a good sport to play for all ages

Golf is a sport that is great to play until you get very old. Since you can take a golf cart or a caddy, there are ways to make it less physically demanding as you get older. Since not as much running is involved it's easier for older people to be able to participate and keep them moving.

5. Golf is good to know for your future job

Golf is a great skill to have once you are out in the workforce. So many companies have golf outings and it is very common to have to take clients golfing. It helps to be decently good at golf so you don't embarrass yourself at those kinds of events and it shows employers you can hang in a professional setting.

6. Stress relief

Being out in the nice fresh air while walking and talking after school can be a great way to unwind before having to go home and get started on your homework.

7. Scholarship opportunities 

Golf is more on the unpopular side of high school and college sports to play. Because of this, it is easier to find some small colleges that will give you the scholarship to be on their golf team, especially for women!