Why I Decided to do NANOWRIMO

With NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month) quickly approaching, beginning November first, my anxiety about attempting my hand at writing a novel again increases. I've attempted NANOWRIMO twice. My first attempt, I did not get the full 50,000 words, but I got pretty damn close with 30,000 words. My second attempt, I surpassed the NANOWRIMO goal of 50,000 words, and wrote a 60,000-word complete novel. I was proud of myself, and the world I had created. However, college came, and novel writing was set aside. I could never completely give up writing and joined USF's Odyssey chapter to continue to express myself. The last three years of my life were full of pre-med classes, volunteering, and working. Now, in my final semester – I find myself…free. I decided I was going to do NANOWRIMO again. For the first time in five years, I was going to try and write a novel again. I find myself feeling insecure, like my writing won't be as good as it was because I haven't written in so long. Yet, I feel so excited to sit down and create a world, characters, and stories. Writing can be so intimate, and a great way to express yourself. With all the experiences I've gained since I last wrote a novel, I can't wait to explore the characters I create. I decided to do NANOWRIMO again because I don't know when in my life I will get the chance to write a novel again, let alone say I've written three. If you've always dreamed of writing a novel, script, poetry collection – I dare you to take your hand at NANOWRIMO this November and see what you can create!