Growing Up

I am a workaholic if I do say so myself, my friends will tell you I am, my boyfriend, family they all will say I work too much. I don't have enough fun, "You will have the rest of your life to work" we have all heard it, but it's okay.

I work two jobs over forty hours a week. Some mornings I am up at 5 am and not going to bed till 12 that night. I'll work 16 hour days and come home and then stay up for another 4 just to get stuff done at home. Is it tiring? Well, of course, it is tiring, but who wouldn't be tired after spending 16 hours on their feet.

But when you have to start paying for things you start to realize that the only way you are going to survive college without money from mom and dad is working your butt off. The only way you will be able to adult and become independent from your folks is doing it all for yourself.

My dad used to always tell me "grab a glove and get in the game" and now as I am turning into an adult I have come to the conclusion that silly little saying meant a lot more than pulling my own weight at the house. It meant working, getting a job, starting to grow up. Now that doesn't mean I don't have fun, go to parties, stay out much later than I should, I am 18 how could I not do those things. I will say though my first "real" party wasn't till about a month ago that is beside the point.

I live, I go on vacation, I still find time to hang out with my bestie at the pool, or go to the family get together. This is what being an adult is about, working and managing time. You can't just drop everything to go and hang out with a friend or go on a spontaneous trip.

Growing up does seem scary, I used to be scared of it myself. But it really isn't all that bad, now after I get my paycheck from those two weeks working two jobs I put my money into a savings account, I get to watch it grow and maybe be my downpayment on a first house or first new car.

I get to see that the hard work I am putting in does pay off. Growing up and working doesn't have to be scary, you just have to be ready for it.