Why Did The Turtle Cross The Road?

Why Did The Turtle Cross The Road?

No idea, but here is how you can help.

246
Why Did The Turtle Cross The Road?
LadoniaHerald

Friends, it's turtle season. Turtles are not only active between the months of April and October, but they are on the move and on the roads. While males are currently looking for mates, females are searching for places to build nests. In the later summer and fall months, you may even see hatched turtles crossing in search of water. Or, they may all just be migrating to better places to live. As turtles have primitive hearing that is unable to detect a lot of traffic and car horns, they are often put in dangerous situations with vehicles. If you are a turtle lover like yours truly, you will likely feel the obligation to help any turtles you spot crawling across the street. While your intentions may be pure, please keep some things in mind to ensure that you are truly helping your reptile friends.

1. Always put your safety first.

While turtles may be amazing and adorable, you cannot put the safety of a wandering turtle above the safety of yourself and other drivers. If the road or highway you are on seems heavy with traffic and overall unsafe to walk across, it may be best to try to avoid the turtle yourself and hope for the best. Getting hit by a vehicle or causing a car wreck simply isn't worth it. And, hey, the little guy may just make it on its own.

2. Pull off to the side and work quickly.

This one should be a no-brainer but if you do decide that the area is safe, you cannot just stop in the middle of the road. Pull off to the side and turn on your hazard lights. That way other drivers will know to slow down and be cautious. Don't take your time getting to the turtle and walk briskly. The turtle will probably go inside its shell so just be as gentle as possible.

3. Handle carefully.

That turtle is terrified. If the turtle is too large to carry or is close enough to the side and you'd rather not pick it up, gently push it along with a blunt object. If you do pick it up, be very gentle. Never ever carry it by its tail, legs or anything other than its shell. Grasp it on both sides between its front and back legs while making sure that you are not only holding it by the top half of the shell. Keep the turtle low to the ground in case you drop it.

4. Get the turtle to its desired location.

Never move the turtle back to where it started as putting it anywhere other than the area it was facing will just make the turtle want to try again, causing it to cross the street once you leave. That turtle was on a mission and putting it back will not make it stay on that side of the road. Also, avoid relocating the turtle. It may be heading to a specific home range, and you moving it to a whole different area may just end with the turtle crossing even more roads in search of its destination. However, some turtles may be heading toward even more danger, and you'll have to use your judgment. I myself have moved turtles to slightly different areas if I knew that they were heading toward more large threats (another road, lawnmowers, big dogs, etc.).

5. Wash your hands.

Feel free to pat yourself on the back but not before washing your hands. Turtles and other reptiles are known for carrying Salmonella bacteria and other potential diseases for humans. If you are a frequent turtle-mover, it would probably be smart to keep hand sanitizer in your vehicle. Once you're cleaned up, be happy! A turtle is safe and sound because of your help.

Now you know exactly what to do in the case that you see a confused turtle trying to make its way across the street. While we don't know where it is going or why it is there, you can confidently help it get to safety.

Until then, enjoy this turtle eating a strawberry.