Why I Despised High School

Why I Despised High School

"High School is the best time of your life".... NOT!

23

Many people have told me going into high school that it was going to be the best time of my life and how I am going to leave with so many good memories and friends.....

Well, I have one thing to say to all of them. HIGH SCHOOL SUCKED.

I mean, to the people who have fantastic high school experiences, good for you. I mean that in all seriousness and not in a sarcastic way whatsoever. But, for me high school was one of the worst experiences.

Freshman year actually wasn't that bad. I mean, yeah I got picked on like most freshmen did. But It got really bad when I joined the men's volleyball team.

I was tortured, made fun of, shown inappropriate pictures and things that the upperclassmen KNEW I didn't like. I wouldn't call it hazing, but it sure did feel like I was getting tortured in the locker rooms and on the bus rides to and from the games. The thing that pissed me off the most was that the coaches did NOTHING to stop it. I wasn't the only one on the team that this was happening to. It happened to all the freshman on the team. What confused me was that why no one said a thing about it to anyone.

That experience really marred my high school experience from the get go.

In high school, I went from being a super outgoing kid (which I became once again afterwards) to being a super introvert. I didn't go out much. I didn't belong in any clique. I liked to call myself a floater and I would just hop from group of friends to group of friends. There was roughly 174 people in my class. To some of you that may seem small, but to me, it was huge. In those 174 people, not one person shared the same interests as me.

I became close with a few people, but since I graduated, I talk to maybe 5 people total from high school.

The worst year was my senior year. This was because I was going through a lot of personal problems with finding myself and who I wanted to be as an adult and a bunch of other stuff. Take that and put verbal abuse on top of it, well, that was recipe for disaster.

The one thing that I regret the most is not telling my parents that this stuff was happening. I guess the 17 year old that I was wanted to feel like an adult. I thought I could handle the drama and bullies by myself. Turns out, I couldn't. I really wanted out.... permanently.

But, the year flew by (thank GOD) and I graduated. The best part of my graduation was being the first one out of the building and never looked back. Except for the part when i was in the back seat of my car and saw one of my bullies wave and smile at me.... and I proceeded to flip him off. That was the best moment (if not a little classless) of my entire life.

Nowadays, Things are much better. Part of me is happy I went though those experiences and was glad that they happened. They shaped me into who I am today. I have to say, I really like that person overall!!