The #1 Asked Question for Out-Of-Staters At UT

Why'd you choose to come to UT?

1309
Paige Feldman

Coming to Texas, I knew that most of the University was made up of “In-Staters" aka “Locals"- Born and Bred in Texas. I first realized exactly how true this was during my orientation. I was placed in a group of twenty-five girls in which we were playing Ice-Breaker games, finding out who everyone was, etc. Out of the entire group, myself and one other girl were the only “Out of Staters" and believe me, it wasn't our brown hair or lack of saying "Y'all" that gave it away.

This was when I realized how accurate it was that UT accepts only 10% from Out of State which means the other 90% is all In-State acceptances. So, when I say that if you are an “Out of Stater" you will get asked maybe 500-1000 times (and that might just be an understatement) “Hey, so why'd you choose to come to UT?") I felt compelled to write about it.

So listen up y'all, here is the answer along with my story on why I chose to come to UT...

When I was applying to schools, my theory was, "The more, the merrier" considering I applied to thirteen schools, it was very merry! Essay after essay and I never complained - even with important deadlines mapped out on a big calendar pinned on my wall, a ton of brochures, city maps, and many late, late nights - I was all in. Every school that I applied to had a couple main things in common: Top Sports Teams, Big School Spirit, Greek Life, Academically Challenging, Good Location, and oh yes, not to forget the #1 pre-requisite from my mother *MUST have a direct flight.* The agreed-upon rule in my house was: We were not going to visit any schools until an acceptance letter was in front of me, and I was okay with that.

I started hearing back from a few schools, but it wasn't until late February when I finally read the life-changing words, "Congratulations Paige" across the top of my Texas Portal, in which I had been checking every day - sometimes twice a day - for the past three months. Looking back, I had no initial reaction at that very moment yet now I believe I was thinking, "Wait, is this really happening?" My parents, on the other hand, rushed into my room with two very different emotions: my Dad wanted to jump on the next flight to Austin, and my Mom was in complete denial and still convinced I would be attending the University of Miami, a forty-five minute drive from home, which she was thrilled about.

Three weeks later we boarded the flight to Austin and nothing was ever the same. Everything had a vibe. The airport, the hotel, our tour guide, and the city of Austin, in general, was nothing less than fantastic. After attending the accepted students tour bright, and early Friday morning, I was 100% going to be one of the 10%.

There was no other school like the University of Texas at Austin that I could even compare it to. It had a genuine campus feeling while being in one of the most vibrant cities in the country, not to mention the people in this city are so nice with such a warm and authentic energy. We spent an additional three days in ATX along with spending hundreds of dollars at the University Co-Op which is known at other schools as the Bookstore (and keep in mind we did not buy any books), I knew I would be attending UT in the fall.

I flew home excited for the next four years and officially committed later that week. I could not wait to be a Longhorn, and I am so proud to be 1 of the 10%! Hook 'Em Horns!!