Why I Chose Mills

Why I Chose Mills

A small list of reasons why I chose Mills College.

20
Why I Chose Mills
Alyssa Wong

Mills College won my heart from the very moment I stepped on the campus, but I understand that for most people, the decision is not that simple. There is a lot to consider when looking for the college that will is the best fit, besides just the feeling of the campus. My opinion is one of many, and is not the only voice for or against Mills College, but the following are a few reasons why I chose Mills:

1. Education

I have only taken three short classes at Mills so far, but I have been so impressed with the level of education here. Regardless of the class, the professors have taken time to answer questions during lectures. Our professors are also commonly seen around campus. They're not just ominous people we see twice a week in a classroom. I have had meals in the common eating space with professors and other faculty and talked about our lives, our dogs, as well as our class content. Having these interactions with the professors helps realize that the professors are human, and it helps the professors realize when something is wrong or concerning.

2. Diversity

One aspect that Mills College emphasizes is diversity. About 56 percent of Mills students are classified as non-white, and it doesn't stop at race. Mills accepts all female-identifying/people identified as female at birth. Mills is the first college to accept people who self-identify as women. The college also makes their education accessible for people from any financial background, creating financial aid packets for those who cannot afford tuition. They also offer merit scholarships for those who do well in high school.

3. Food

Mills College has one of the top ranked dining halls in the United States. According to The Daily Meal, Mills College is ranked 12th for the best college food. We beat out six of the University of California colleges ranked in the top "75 Best Colleges for Food." According to Princeton Review, Mills College spends 60 percent of its food budget on organic and local foods. There is a wide variety of food night-to-night, including options for those who are vegetarian, vegan or other dietary restrictions. Along with the quality food, there are plentiful options for dessert lovers, ranging from ice cream to cakes to muffins.

4. Housing

Generally at college, people have at least one roommate and they have to battle to the death in order to get that position. At Mills, first year students are guaranteed housing on campus. At UC Merced, housing is around $12,900 for a single room per year (UCM, 2015). At Mills, a single room costs close to $6,900 per year (Mills, 2016). I can't say anything for the size of the single rooms at UCM, but at Mills, the general square footage for a single room is 120-150 square feet. To get a room comparable in price to Mills, you would have three roommates at UCM to pay $2,000 more per year.

Mills also accommodates for students of almost all needs. They have one option for students who need a silent environment, with a 12 hour quiet house. They also take allergies into consideration, placing students into rooms that fit their needs. Those needs can include Emotional Support Animals, allergies and disability access.

5. Low Drug/Alcohol Rates

I personally do not smoke or drink and do not have the interest to. Luckily for me and other students with a similar lack of interests, Mills College was named the 14th most Sober School as well as 16th most Stone-Cold Sober School by the Princeton Review. Of course smoking and drinking happens on campus, but it's hardly seen or smelt here. Besides, classes and other extracurricular classes keep us too busy to think about any of that.

Closing thoughts:

These are not in any particular order, besides my own thought process. Mills College is an absolutely wonderful school with everything to offer for young female identifying/AFAB people, and I would suggest everyone to visit Mills and check out the great mix of people and activities we have here.