Why I Can't Love A Man The Way I Love My Best Friend

Best Friends or Soul mates? BOTH!

22

Soulmates and Best Friends,

“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.”

Oh best friends, every girl has them whether they are male or female. They drive you crazy but you would not want to be surrounded by anyone else. But what about when that special someone enters into your crazy life? Who will be your very best friend then? I always hear people say my significant other is my best friend. And I couldn't agree more expect what about our best friends? The ones that came before the spouse? Or even after? They sometimes get put on the back burner when those special people enter. It’s hard to forget those incredible human beings. That's why I will never love a man the way I love my best friends.

Now do not take this as my best friends will always come before my future husband because that’s not what I’m meaning. My future husband will offer a more intimate side of love. My best friends have a different type of love towards me and me them. We love without guards and oh so deeply. Soulmates. Soulmates are defined as a person whom you have an immediate connection with. I honestly believe that best friends are meant to be your soulmates, not the spouse you choose. Best friends know what makes you mad, sad, or happy. They understand every bright and dark side of the soul. Yet, they still decide to stick around. They are the other half of your unique soul.

Every best friend brings a different type of spice to the pot of friendship. From salty to sweet. Sometimes you may want to strangle them but then you just want to hug the breath out of them when you have time apart. They are the first ones to tell you when you need to stop being too mean or even way too nice. They will let you yell at them and not take anything to heart.

My best friends do everything a significant other would in public and at home. For example, my best friend and I went on a double date with our significant others. And she knew exactly what I was going to order before I even said it. In fact, she knows what I get at every restaurant we go to. And I know her orders as well. When we are out and about without or significant others, we insist on holding hands because of the sense of security. They hold your hand in the brightest and darkest time. One of my best friends held my hand will I was having an anxiety and asthma attack all in one. She wanted to make sure that I did not feel like I was in it alone.

One of the most comforting things is that you do not have to communicate every second of every day. I have gone a month without talking to a friend just because of busy schedules and distance. But the moment you text them with just an emoji, it is like you never were apart. When you are younger it is hard not to want to talk to them every second of the day but as you grow older you always know they have a piece of your heart without having to communicate it. One of my best friends and I will sometimes only talk when we are mentioning something funny about old classmates, when big things happen in our life, or when just miss each other. It is distance but we have come to terms with it and know that we cannot be without each other. It’s the memories in our heart that we know we will forever be best friends.

My homegirls are down to cuddle 98% of the time and even LOVE to binge watch Netflix. That's the kind of positivity you need in you crazy life. They don't complain when your hair gets in their face while being the big spoon. They will yell at the tv with you and cry when sad parts show. They will chow down on just about anything. From mac and cheese to chicken nuggets shaped like dinosaurs. Best friends bring out the kid in you. I cannot even remember how many times as teenagers, my best friends and I went to the park to play.

You could do these things with your significant others but it will always be different with your best friend. These are things that you hold deep into your heart and never forget. Just like the people you never forget. So here is a giant THANK YOU to all the best friends who make life so much easier and always make us love you. No matter what.