Why Canceling Concerts In North Carolina Isn't Actually Helping The LGBT Community

Of course, musicians had good intentions, but that's not how you solve the bathroom bill problem.

6
Village Voice

First things first. Of course, the North Carolina bathroom bill is insane. I mean it is the 21st century for crying out loud. If people identify with the opposite gender, they have the right to do so, which means they should absolutely be able to use the restroom that they identify with. It's silly that people who disagree with this notion think that this somehow affects them in any way. People like Ted Cruz are so out of line when they say things like, "Well I don't want my daughter using the same restroom as a creepy old man in a dress."

First of all, there is a difference between cross-dressing and being transgender. Second of all, if you're so worried about your child using a public bathroom, go in with them! It's not rocket science! Third of all, transgender people are just like everybody else. When they go into a public restroom, their only intention is to use the bathroom and leave. That's it and nothing else. Amazing right? So, unless public bathrooms somehow turn into the go-to place for people to debate political and social issues in the future, there should be no issue with people using public restrooms like they normally would: doing their business and minding their own business.

So, anyway, that's my two cents about the North Carolina bathroom bill issue. I tried not to go on a lengthy, angry rant about how I feel about this issue (though I probably could), but I felt like it needed to be said so that my opinion was crystal clear and not misinterpreted.

After this ridiculous, discriminatory bill (sorry, now I'm done, I said I was done with the rant before, but now I'm really done) was passed into law in North Carolina, many famous musicians pulled out of their concerts that were scheduled there in protest to the bill. These musicians include Ringo Starr, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Boston, Blue Man Group, Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas, and more.

Let me start by saying that they all had the best intentions and they are absolutely on the right side of history for taking a stand against this bill. I mean, after all, they could've just said nothing and treated it like a normal concert. Instead, they decided that with their fame and influence, they would make the tough decision to cancel a concert (doing what they love) to send a message to the bigoted, anti-LGBT movement. Again, I offer my sincere congratulations to all those musicians for taking a stand when they could've just taken the easy way out (even Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas, who I will probably never find myself complimenting ever again because of their manufactured pop that they call music, but that's beside the point).

However, what happened as a result of those cancelled concerts? Did anything change? Was any progress made? Did the situation improve? I'm not sure it did and I'll even go further and say these canceled concerts were a missed opportunity to unite people around this issue. The only result really was that a lot of good people had to miss out on seeing their favorite musicians play a show. Sure, it probably angered the people who were planning on going, but most likely, the canceled concerts did not prompt anyone to change their opinions on the issue. These musicians could have brought their music with positive messages of peace and equality to the people that need it most, but instead, they're sort of accepting defeat in a way by pulling out.

I'll now extend my kudos even further to a few musicians that I, again, will probably never find myself congratulating again. Mumford & Sons, Cyndi Lauper, Jimmy Buffett, and Greg Allman [insert slow clapping here].

Mumford & Sons did not cancel its North Carolina concert and instead, they pledged to donate the proceeds of the show to LGBT charities. This is such a perfect way to unite people around the cause and actually make positive change. Cyndi Lauper did the same thing with her North Carolina show, saying that the best way she felt she could do her part was to use the entire day to build support for the movement. Perfect.

Jimmy Buffett also knocked one out of the park with his comments about his North Carolina shows. He said, "These shows were booked and sold out long before the governor signed that stupid law. I am not going to let stupidity or bigotry trump fun for my loyal fans this year.” What a great point. The fans coming to these gigs should not be penalized for the ignorance of their state's government. Just because people live in the state doesn't mean that the people there unanimously agree with the actions of the governor. In fact, quite the opposite actually. Next, Greg Allman said in regards to his North Carolina concert, "I know that North Carolina is a state full of good folks and loyal fans, many of whom are angry about and feel misrepresented by this action." Exactly, Greg. Exactly.

I mean, music is the greatest uniting force that we have as humans. Think of how important music was during the Vietnam War. A huge part of the hippy movement in the '60s was people using music to unite against a war that they felt was unjust. People to this day still hold charity concerts that use music as a means to unite behind a common cause. I mean anyone who's heard songs like "All You Need Is Love," "What A Wonderful World," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding," "Imagine," etc., knows the power of music.

When Ringo Starr announced on Facebook that his North Carolina show would be canceled, he said that he wanted to "take a stand against this hatred" and he wanted to "spread peace and love.” While that's all well and good, doesn't he know a damn good way to spread that peace and love? Your music, Ringo! Music! If Ringo played that show in North Carolina and played his songs in a tribute to the LGBT community, it would actually have meant something to people. I doubt anyone going to see Ringo Starr (whose music is all about peace and love), is in favor of the bathroom bill. So, think of a sea of people singing along to "All You Need Is Love" after Ringo announces that it's dedicated to the LGBT community. That, my friends, would prompt positive change and would make the audience feel a wonderful sense of togetherness and compassion. That song could be so impactful that people at the show might feel compelled to support the cause afterwards or it might even turn into a viral video that prompts support from people all over world.

A wise Liverpudlian man once said "You may say I'm a dreamer / but I'm not the only one / I hope someday you'll join us / And the world will be as one." Peace and love everybody.